Gibson Brands Forums

What should you teach first to a newbie

Rabs

But I agree. A basic version of one of his favorite songs...BUT ALSO...BASICS. Bad habits are hard to break! Proper position and finger placement, names of strings and tuning. Will give him a good foundation that he can build on.

Yes, This^.

Also, teach him some cool techniques. I was hooked the first time I did a bend.

Well thanks one and all for the input...

And yes I agree.. Best thing is to find something he looks up to and wants to imitate and make it as fun as possible... [thumbup]

I have taught a couple of people a bit of guitar...these were total noobs

The first thing I do is teach the parts of the guitar, most importantly the frets and strings which I name by numbers.

I then teach them to tune the guitar by ear while simultaneously asking them to recall what I just taught them about the string fret relationship.

This sounds weird, but if I say "second string fifth fret, now third string open," while the person listens for the similarity in sound as they pluck and maybe even turn the appropriate machine...that is a very complicated thing to add up and yet it marries all the elements of playing together. You gotta listen, put your finger on the right spot and push the string into the neck without buzzing. It may sound boring as balls, but that is the most important thing someone can learn on guitar just before tabs.

I always tech "you wreck me" by Tom Petty as a first song...unless they want to learn another 4 chord staple.

I have taught a couple of people a bit of guitar...these were total noobs

The first thing I do is teach the parts of the guitar, most importantly the frets and strings which I name by numbers.

I then teach them to tune the guitar by ear while simultaneously asking them to recall what I just taught them about the string fret relationship.

This sounds weird, but if I say "second string fifth fret, now third string open," while the person listens for the similarity in sound as they pluck and maybe even turn the appropriate machine...that is a very complicated thing to add up and yet it marries all the elements of playing together. You gotta listen, put your finger on the right spot and push the string into the neck without buzzing. It may sound boring as balls, but that is the most important thing someone can learn on guitar just before tabs.

I always tech "you wreck me" by Tom Petty as a first song...unless they want to learn another 4 chord staple.

Yeah... well his dad does play but is not that experienced yet.. so hopefully hes taught him a few of those basics.. if not that's what I will go over first and then find out a tune that he likes and learn the chords so it engages with his ideas more... Like teaching him Sunshine of your Love (a must when I was learning) would probably be old man boring music to him [rolleyes] so he has to want to dig it. I think the three really important chords to get people going are G, C and D.. SO so many songs use those chords. Once you can play those you already know a quarter of all rocks songs ever written ;)

msp_w00t.gifThat evil F chord, I must be old, I can't remember playing it the first time. My cousin played in a band who taught me the guitar. He couldn't read music so first he showed me how to tune it by ear, then he showed me some real eay stuff about playing the base stuff while he played lead. The guitar boogie was great and easy. He showed me some venture songs and the Animals, House of the Rising Sun. Pipe line, but I always played either base or the chords. Then he showed me how to play by ear, listening to records, picking it out. Then he went to Vietnam and another cousin taught me how to play by music and more difficult stuff. And tell him once he starts guitar, he can't wash dishes so he doesn't soften the callouses on his fingers! That got me off, lol

Well I gave him the Strat today and he was pretty happy with that.. :)

So he knew how to hold and tune the guitar.. with a tuner [rolleyes] I tried to show him about tuning by ear but he really didn't seem to pay any attention to that...

So I started teaching him a few chords and gave him a chord sheet with the main open chords on it and showed him how to read it and where to put his fingers... It really was hard for him to hold a chord shape (as it would be)...

I didn't have much time to do anything else.. so I asked him what music he really likes and what did he answer

Katy Perry (groooannn) I guess it could be worse :) Im still waiting for what actual song he wants to learn so he will have that ready for me tomorrow, meanwhile I told him just to try practicing the chords. Cos really until his fingers are strong enough to make a clean chord (or even mostly clean) it wont be very constructive to do anything else, cos what ever he tries to play wont sound right till then.

So we will see.. I got a few days to try and get him doing something... lets hope I can do better than today..

Archived