Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Bonamassa Plays Gibson At The Vienna Opera House

ajay

I just started watching, but Gibson sent three acoustics for Joe to use in Europe. His performance in Vienna was all acoustic. So far I've seen an Advanced Jumbo that he played on "Dust Bowl". It looked like He was playing a J-200 on "Ball Peen Hammer", and I know that they also sent along a really nice sounding Hummingbird, but I haven't picked that out on a song yet.

He can make those 50's Les Paul's scream, and He is doing justice to the Gibson Acoustics too. I wish that I had the talent of one finger on that guy. Check out Joe at The Vienna Opera House on YouTube. My Gosh, what a talent.

I saw Joe Bonamassa for the second time just a few weeks ago. You are right on about his talent. He is one of the finest guitar players on the planet and definitely the most technicaly proficient guitarist I have ever seen perform live. He does not miss a note during a show. Pretty incredible. His current tour is heavy into Chicago blues and definitely worth the price of admission.

YouTube has the cool Blues Tour. If You've seen his "Big Band" tour, You have to watch" Muddy Wolf At Red Rocks " on YouTube What a cool show. I'd love to see him live. He walks around in a baseball cap, T-shirt, and shorts. Nobody knows who He is. When He puts on those sharp duds and wraparound shades, it's like Superman just stepped out of the phone booth. He is an American Original for sure.Also, have You seen the picture of his guitar collection? At least 200 guitars, and 6 of them are late 50's Les Pauls. About 6 are early 50's Les Pauls and plenty of Vîntage Fenders. Drool City to say the least, and He's only 38!

I saw him at the Wang Center in Boston in January. The man is on top of his game. There was no BS what so ever. The show started exactly on time,,, 10 minute break between 1st and second half of the show, was exactly 10 minutes. Very little bantering, one song after another, The band was top notch. 3 horn players, keys (the guy from Double Trouble), Carmin still playing bass, same drummer he's had for a while, and his percussion guy.

First part of the show was an acoustic set, he had a bevy of gibsons in a half circle behind him and one taylor. Second part of the show he used mostly one his 50s lps, he used a strat for (I believe) 1 song. (Love Aint A Love Song) the back line was handled with what I saw were to be at least 6 Fender tweeds of various models behind a plexiglass deflector.

As said, he never missed a note, sang all night long, and never faltered, not once.

He's a machine.

"Vienna" IMO is JB's finest work. Recently saw his Red Rock tribute to Muddy Waters which showcases a different side of him. He's a superb talent...all around talent...and his arsenal of acoustics and electrics is mind boggling.

It's a fantastic time in history for Joe to hit full stride. Just think of all of the young guitarists that can watch him and pick up JB's licks on YouTube. I just admire the man as much as his talent. His stage presence is as perfect as his mechanics. I sure do wish that he was my neighbor. I'd really appreciate a lesson now and then. If there is such a thing as a Guitar God, Joe is the one.

It's a fantastic time in history for Joe to hit full stride. Just think of all of the young guitarists that can watch him and pick up JB's licks on YouTube. I just admire the man as much as his talent. His stage presence is as perfect as his mechanics. I sure do wish that he was my neighbor. I'd really appreciate a lesson now and then. If there is such a thing as a Guitar God, Joe is the one.There is a picture online of his collection. It looks like Norman's Rare Guitars, and I know that he buys guitars there.

Archived