Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic MIDI controller.

jaxson50

Pretty cool....

The guy is really good in a one man band sort of way. I have seen this video twice and still don't get something: does this lay down midi on your computer or does it play pre set instruments using the pads while you accompany it on the guitar for a live show? I checked out their web site and don't know.

I would have use if it lays down guitar notes in midi in your DAW.

I don't play keys but want to use virtual instruments. I tried various piezo products and couldn't get them to do that.

Interesting.

Lots of pad midi controllers on that guitar so huge potential.

I'd like to see a solid electric version with an internal Fishman Triple Play for the strings.

To answer Tman - my belief is that the pads are being used directly as midi controllers which could, of course, be routed direct to you DAW.

Below, behold a video—published to YouTube June 3—that shows the ACPAD in action.

The ACPAD is being billed as the world's first MIDI controller for acoustic guitars.

And while we don't yet know a whole heck of a lot about this device, we know it's coming to Kickstarter soon.

Here are some of its finer points, as finely pointed out by the makers of ACPAD:

• It supports both Wireless MIDI and USB MIDI connections.

• It is velocity sensitive with accurate triggering and no noticeable latency.

• With its own internal rechargeable battery, ACPAD gives you complete freedom. For long studio sessions, it runs perfectly using USB.

• With presets of two live loopers, effects and sounds using Ableton Live, you get unlimited sound effects.

• Choose from wood grain, black and white designs. Customizable versions coming soon.

For further reading, here's a bit of background from the official ACPAD website:

What would be unique to this product is if it writes midi to your DAW from the guitar part of the whole set up. In other words if you play notes on your guitar and that gets written as midi notes on your computer. I can't play keys well enough to do it on keys. I have been told many times that the technology is out there for people who want to use virtual instruments. I mean polyphonic like playing chords, not just single notes. I have tried a few products (string port, axon, etc.) but they were either no longer updating their software or they went out of business and none wrote the notes, just translated to synthesizer then amp. I even beta tested for string port which had promise but if didn't happen.

Would love to play something on guitar like a ballad solo then have it translated to cello for instance. Or flute.

What would be unique to this product is if it writes midi to your DAW from the guitar part of the whole set up. In other words if you play notes on your guitar and that gets written as midi notes on your computer. I can't play keys well enough to do it on keys. I have been told many times that the technology is out there for people who want to use virtual instruments. I mean polyphonic like playing chords, not just single notes. I have tried a few products (string port, axon, etc.) but they were either no longer updating their software or they went out of business and none wrote the notes, just translated to synthesizer then amp. I even beta tested for string port which had promise but if didn't happen.

Would love to play something on guitar like a ballad solo then have it translated to cello for instance. Or flute.

Have you tried the Fishman Triple Play yet Tman? I've not looked at the ACPAD link yet (I will) but I suspect it is as I said a pad midi controller device. For the guitar strings you'll need a hexagraphic pickup and midi controller. The best out there is the Fishman Triple Play device.

With the Fishman Triple Play software you can record to DAW or even embed the software within your DAW (as a plugin).

If you have hardware synths you can use something like the Kenton USB host to which the Fishman USB receiver plugs in and outputs midi.

Have you tried the Fishman Triple Play yet Tman? I've not looked at the ACPAD link yet (I will) but I suspect it is as I said a pad midi controller device. For the guitar strings you'll need a hexagraphic pickup and midi controller. The best out there is the Fishman Triple Play device.

With the Fishman Triple Play software you can record to DAW or even embed the software within your DAW (as a plugin).

If you have hardware synths you can use something like the Kenton USB host to which the Fishman USB receiver plugs in and outputs midi.

Outstanding, thanks so much, very helpful! No I haven't tried it and I will look it up and try it for sure.

Archived