Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Gibson Artist

Since im over 4k in debt now i figured i may as well enjoy it, i got this on payments. A Taylor 214ce Deluxe in Sunburst. My business has pickup lately so i should be able to cover the monthly payments without it touching my debt ratio and below i will give a review. It retails around 1200 dollars btw.

Pros Ebony Fretboard, Ebony Bridge, Easy to play neck,Big projection for a cutaway, Wonderful tone.

Cons Cheap looking neck, Sharp edges on headstock, Sunburst doesnt look as good in person as the brochure wish i had gotten a natural, No brand name on the case in big letters, porous worm looking holes in the wood of headstock. Made in Mexico (really taylor for 1200 bucks?

To some, they like the look of a recycled wood neck, for me i dont care for it. The Headstock has these little worm like looking holes, i hated that. They werent deep, but it made it a little porous looking like a sponge. It also had these sharp edges and the logo looked cheap, maybe im askin too much from a 1200 dollar git? Much like Martin, their hardshell cases are bland with only a little tiny brand plate in brass or gold. I miss the Gibson case i had with my J-15, big bold letters proudly displays your loyalty. Now, as for sound, i selected the 214 because i dont like my acoustics too bright and the 214 is a bit muddier and more to my taste. It was surprisingly full for a cutaway with sustain for days. It even came with Elixir phospher bronze strings, nice touch Taylor! I must say, i LOVE the feel of ebony fretboards, i sold an ebony les paul once. Afterwards i had sellers remorse but needed the money. Someday i hope to get another. Finally, i can say ive tried all 3 major brands in acoustics. My only real complains about this Taylor are mostly cosmetic. Especially not getting natural. Oddly, i had purchased an epiphone ej200 a while back and loved their burst. But here she is in her splendor, nice git. One more complaint, the back looks cheap in person lol. Not sure if ill keep, may trade but it does sound great.

003_zpse83peqpb.jpg

004_zpstcyt1njy.jpg

005_zpskz47gfqo.jpg

006_zpsxlv93ma5.jpg

HNGD, GA.

I like the 'burst, actually. Classy. Perhaps it will grow on you?

What wood was used for the back?

I see what you mean about the appearance of the rear of the neck but no-one will see that when you are playing so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Have fun with it!

BTW, as far as the case goes;

When I occasionally head out to an 'open-mic' I always carry my '60 R-I LP around in an old, slightly down-at-heel cheap-looking case.

GIBSON writ large in gold letters is simply an invitation to a mugging 'round these parts...

Pip.

HNGD, GA.

I like the 'burst, actually. Classy. Perhaps it will grow on you?

What wood was used for the back?

I see what you mean about the appearance of the rear of the neck but no-one will see that when you are playing so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Have fun with it!

BTW, as far as the case goes;

When I occasionally head out to an 'open-mic' I always carry my '60 R-I LP around in an old, slightly down-at-heel cheap-looking case.

GIBSON writ large in gold letters is simply an invitation to a mugging 'round these parts...

Pip.

Well, most of my complaints are cosmetic. The no name on the case i can deal with. A 1200 dollar git made in Mexico? Thats like the 900 dollar road worn fenders, kind of weak in my eyes. The finish isnt as bright as the pictures, that was from my flash, its much duller lookin in person and the back looks cheap because its a layered rosewood. The headstock/neck/back all look cheap to me. My Martin omcpa4 i had was exact same price and was also a cutaway and didnt look cheap like that. Neither did my D16rgt when that was 1200 before their price hike. Btw, i once took my old ibanez hollowbody for a walk to the corner store, no case just playin it. Was in that moment i realized how bad my old neighborhood really was as 2 guys came up to me and asked me to jam in their house. I politely said no, a year later someone was murdered in that same house they invited me to. I am lucky i didnt get mugged myself, lesson learned i wont be that stupid again, but i moved to a better part of town and the worst i do here is play on the porch.

Archived