Gibson Brands Forums

2005 Gibson ES355 Fake or Real please help

david123

It looks suspicious to me because of the bridge. But there's some real experts on here who could tell you for sure. But you'd probably need to post more pictures. A pic of the headstock, front and back, would be helpful. If you can't upload them here, you'd need to upload them to a site like Photobucket and post a link to them here.

Five things immediately leap out at me which seem wrong:

1) What looks like rosewood fingerboard instead of ebony.

2) No nibs although it might have been refretted. The frets themselves are not the usual ultra wide flat frets (Fretless wonder frets) associated with the ebony board.

3) Pickguard isn't bound.

4) No sign of an orange label inside the upper f-hole.

5) Not very many 355s had flame but some do. So this matter maybe not an issue.

As badblues says - we really need the pics.

Thanks David, a close up shot of the fingerboard would have been good.

However, I think something doesn't look quite right about the bridge.

There is also the matter re the Bigsby - certainly not the standard 355 Bigsby as shown here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gibson+355+bigsby&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4ACAW_en___GB400&tbm=isch&imgil=07UJrWjOccXCEM%253A%253BSxLFcaQznla1BM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.bigsby.com%25252Fvibe%25252Fcommunity%25252Finstallations%25252Fgibson-355%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=07UJrWjOccXCEM%253A%252CSxLFcaQznla1BM%252C_&biw=1203&bih=590&dpr=0.9&usg=__HZEYu36ld4Kd5sVceW4cLy0w6Lk%3D&ved=0CFIQyjdqFQoTCIqki92b-8YCFfIG2wodfJQLgQ&ei=NRe2Vcq1GfKN7Ab8qK6ICA#imgrc=07UJrWjOccXCEM%3A&usg=__HZEYu36ld4Kd5sVceW4cLy0w6Lk%3D

Note also on the 355s shown in the Bigsby ad the truss rod cover is brass but that may vary. However, I would have expected it to have "Custom" written on it.

Another issue is, of course, the lack of Varitone although some were made (including the most recent) without the Varitone. A lack of Varitone would mean instant rejection from me.

The bridge pickup is definitely not original. It is a "Hot Slag" pickup made by British company IronGear (distributed by Axetec in the UK). It is a good pickup as are all Irongear offerings but not in any sense original. The neck humbucker also looks aftermarket to me and I note there has been some carving of the humbucker neck hole as the paint has been scraped away.

Plenty of people on here with a lot more expertise than me David but I think you would be right to be very suspicious indeed of that guitar.

I have the concerns Pin has pointed out. I'll just mention that bridge looks like an Epiphone bridge too me and the pup ring anchor screws look wrong - should be flatheads. So I'm also suspicious of this one.

You could email service@gibson.com with the serial and a pic or two (2mb limit) - they can tell you what they have on record for the model, finish and hardware for that serial.

Archived