Gibson Brands Forums

Airline

deepblue

Deep, I've actually looked at the older Airline before. It's been a while back, and this does resemble the original. IMO, if it's somthing that appeals to you, by all means go for it. Everybody has thier own tastes BUT....ya better try it before ya buy it

Just my thought tho......

I feel the same about these as I do the Danelectro "reissues" (which were reasonably priced, historically accurate for the most part AND high quality in the 90's but none of those anymore): it's too much money for what it is. They're neat novelty instruments, but they're not tone monsters by any stretch, and while I'm sure the Eastwood remakes probably play and tune better than the originals I don't think the Airline-style guitars warrant that kind of price tag...PERIOD. Hell, their "Stormbird" (non-reverse Firebird-ish guitar) is DEFINITELY worth the selling price itself because of the construction, woods, awesome neck and good pickups. Others that they make as well are great bang-for-the-buck for stuff you can't just go out and get an "official" reissue for. But I can't figure out the mentality for pricing of the Airline stuff other than it's the same deal when you started seeing Mustangs, Jaguars and Jazzmasters on MTV in the early 90's and all of a sudden the vintage/used market on them exploded. I'd hang loose until I found one for significantly less, unless you have your heart set on it and it's your holy grail type guitar. If it's mere casual interest in a kitschy piece of art-deco, wait on it. I wanted to get one for slide use, but when I saw the price tag it turned me off.

H-Bomb

Archived