Gibson Brands Forums

2012 1930's SJ200 Maple

drathbun

I think if you look at the back of the headstock of your guitar, you'll find a 2015 date in the serial number code. That makes it a 2015. They won't put the 2016 code into a serial number until January 1, 2016.

The serial number code is like this:

YDDDYPPP

YY- Year

DDD - Day of the year

PPP - instrument rank and plant code (which plant and which number guitar stamped that day - Bozeman #'s are 001 to 299)

You're right! 2015! It's just confusing because they call it the 2016 model year. The Hummingbird Standard I played along with my Hummingbird Vintage had a 2016 truss rod cover. Ha. I'm sure the serial number on that one would have been 2015 as well though.

HI have an opportunity to obtain a 2012 1930's SJ200 reissue. From what I can discover, there were 75 rosewood and 75 maple (vintage sunburst) units built. It come with a faux ostrich skin, green plush lined case with interior hygrometer and a certificate of authentication. I've played it for about five minutes and it sounds awesome.

I would have to sell my 2010 J200 Standard to get the SJ200. The give-ups for me would be, the SJ doesn't have a pickup (vintage reissue of course) and it doesn't have nearly the flame of my J200 which has a crazy amount of flame for a Standard (I got lucky). The pluses with the SJ are the tone (amazing), the pearl inlays and script logo, the classic engraved and hand painted pick guard and the case. Plus the fact that it is one of 75. I would probably put an LRBaggs iBeam or a K&K Pure Western pickup into it.

Anyone have experience of the 30's SJ200 model that was released in 2012?

Here is an image of one with the case. This is not the one that I have an opportunity to obtain. The one in the image is a rosewood B/S.

original.jpg

Hello Doug,

just a couple of weeks ago I found the rosewood version of the 1930s edition (same guitar as from JC...) in a shop.

It was discounted because of some minor scratches, really not big issues (cant believe that this guitar was hanging in the shop since 2012...).

What can I say, I pulled the trigger!

Really a superb guitar, the sound and the craftmansship is just awesome!

And now it comes, right now I have to sell my 2012 SJ200 Standard.

Giving away my maple SJ200 hurts a bit, but I cant afford to keep both jumbos right now, but I´m sure that someday I will own a maple SJ200 again... (love the sound of maple!)

Really funny because of the similar situation (and almost also the same guitar) in which you are right now, I cant help you on your dicision but I can say this 1930s replicas are awesome guitars!

Cheers.

Archived