Gibson Brands Forums

I'll keep my swingster

JerseyRay

I bought a epi swingster about this time last year, red. I really dig this guitar. Well, was out and Guitar Center and Sam ash today killing some time. Played some Gretch's...nice looking guitars, but something about them, they just don't impress me. These were models selling below 1000 street (made in china), so not their good stuff... after about 1/2 hr, I had enough.... I'll keep my epi swingster.... they reminded me of the epi wildcat as far as the feel... a guitar I like more to look at then play.... well, that's just me... I did sort of buy my guitar on impulse, something I usually never do... but as many time as I've gone to GC I never saw one, so I swopped it up... glad I did... [thumbup]

I have to agree, I take the grand son for drum lessons at a mom and pop place down the road. they have a bunch of gretch's, they're ok... but just ok. I have a white Royale and I've done a little bit of work on it (well just leveled the frets some what) she plays real good.

they had a few swingsters and they had a hard time moving them,, and mostly agreed they are every bit as good if not better than the gretch's yet, he says those tend to be decent sellers.

If they were made in China, they were probably the Electromatic Jets. Hollow body Electromatics are made in Korea, pro-line Gretsches are made in the Terada factory in Japan --- the same folks that made Epiphone Elitists.

To me the Gretsch hollow body Electromatics (not to mention the pro lines) are a whole different animal than the Swingster. The Swingster is clearly designed as a Gretsch wannabe, but the versatile switching is a nice touch. I have not been impressed with the Swingsters I've played -- I'll keep my Epi Joe Pass and my Gretsch 5420 to have the best of both worlds.

Hey Prabar,

The complaint I heard was the Swingster sounded too "Gibson" like, and not "Gretch" enough. so I guess that has something to do with what you're saying.

well anyway, I like my Royale quite a lot, a pretty solid guitar actually.

Cheers.

I had a Swingster for 3 years and I guess I never really bonded with it. It just never felt right so eventually I sold it. Then recently I was selling a Fender acoustic amp and someone offered me a trade for a Epiphone Sorrento and I went for it just because it's a better value and I am really impressed with it. I play it every day and really like it. In no way am I saying that the Swingster was not good it just did not work for me.

Archived