Gibson Brands Forums

Help identification Les Paul

rafalbar

Hello, I buy a Les Paul Custom and I found this sale, is a little out of my city and I can not prove it before and the owner does not know me much about it, I think it is 1991 but mostly I'm interested to know neck profile, I find one not very thick type 60 ', I would be helpful opinions. thank you and excuse my English

Wouldn't a 57 ri have kluson tuners. Wouldn't it also have a 7 at the beginning of the serial number?

I've been wondering about that serial number.

The only thing I can come up with is that the Historic Division (now Custom Shop) wasn't set-up until '93.

The guitar pictured could, therefore, be one of the so-called 'Pre-Historics' and could, therefore, be a type of 1991 Custom (P)Re-Issue.

I don't have any experience in the numbering system used on these instruments produced from the early '80s until '93 so couldn't give a definitive answer to the question.

If it is a 1991 Custom R-I then it wouldn't surprise me to find that the 'wrong' fittings were used because the attention to detail wasn't anywhere near as obsessive then as it is nowadays.

My own '95 R0, for instance, has single-ring Klusons instead of the double-ring type. It also has a wired ABR-1 and a jack-plate which is both the wrong shape and the wrong thickness.

With all that's wrong with it I can't understand why it still manages to sound so good......LOL!.

Pip.

@ Rafalbar: Sorry for bumping your thread with the following... [blush]

@ Bence: In an instant I identified HAL 9000 as your new avatar. It has been easier to detect than to find out something helpful about the Les Paul Custom in question. Do you think HAL can contribute to clearing up guitar specifications?

;)

@ Bence: In an instant I identified HAL 9000 as your new avatar. It has been easier to detect than to find out something helpful about the Les Paul Custom in question. Do you think HAL can contribute to clearing up guitar specifications?

;)

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do."

Still, I have no idea.

Cheers... HAL

Archived