Gibson Brands Forums

SJ200 vs EJ200

aerohead

Both guitars are strung with Elixir nano PB 13's. This didn't start off as a showdown but after I recorded both guitars I thought why not splice them together and post on the forum. I apologize for the vocals and the flubs in my performance distracting from the guitars (I am still just learning the song in open G). Also I'm not sure why it came out in a mirror image. It is what it is, I might possibly record just the guitars in the future and maybe learn how to splice them together not in a mirror image.

https://youtu.be/Z7ksFJb4KN4

Sorry had to make all my videos private due to an angry troll leaving nasty comments.

That's a shame. Why are there so many (choose your own expletive)'s in the world?

I did manage to catch the video a couple of days ago, l gave it a thumbs up [thumbup]

I was only watching on the iPad so although I could hear a difference, I couldn't honestly say that one sounded better than the other.

That's a shame. Why are there so many (choose your own expletive)'s in the world?

I did manage to catch the video a couple of days ago, l gave it a thumbs up [thumbup]

I was only watching on the iPad so although I could hear a difference, I couldn't honestly say that one sounded better than the other.

Yeah...I watched on my iPhone and thought it was cool, myself. I will always choose a non-cutaway acoustic over a cutaway.

So, I just got through listening to the vid and after several times of going through the first 20 seconds of the SJ, then jumping to the 2:03 mark and listening to the same 20 sec rif on the EJ ... there is a clear difference between the two guitars. I've been really doing a lot of research on the EJ200, and still feel that for it's price range, it will be the guitar I get. But the first guitar you played .. in my opinion sounded much clearer than the second. I think trying to add any more to that statement isn't really necessary, it just is what it is. I'm not knocking the EJ200 by any means, and will in fact keep going that direction for my guitar needs. But between the two that you have and played, the EJ didn't catch my ear like the SJ did !!

What I would like to see is a comparison between the EJ-200 noncutaway solid top and the EJ-200 cutaway solid top Epiphone makes now.

I agree, that would be great to hear!

I think the noncutaway one is a real winner!

It is really annoying that Epiphone continuously discontinues the real good models,

the one who "canibalize" their Gibson sales.

IMHO the EJ200CE sound is pretty thin/weak for a jumbo.

I think when people rave about this guitar,

they mean it's great when plugged in and gigworthy and very similar to the "real thing" etc.

However, if you were to play it acoustically, it is only decent to good (depending on your copy) but

"it really comes to life when plugged in".

I agree w/ Eagle. I have an EJ200 and a DR500 and unplugged the Masterbilt is much more resonant than the EJ 200.Better sustain and bigger sound. Plugging in evens the playing field considerably.I bought the EJ first and after living w/ both of them for over half a year I think I'll be selling the EJ. Not because it's no good but the DR500mce gets the job done better all-round. Hope my two cents helps in any way Cheers all!

I agree w/ Eagle. I have an EJ200 and a DR500 and unplugged the Masterbilt is much more resonant than the EJ 200.Better sustain and bigger sound. Plugging in evens the playing field considerably.I bought the EJ first and after living w/ both of them for over half a year I think I'll be selling the EJ. Not because it's no good but the DR500mce gets the job done better all-round. Hope my two cents helps in any way Cheers all!

Well, disagreement is part of what makes the world go-round.

Particularly with things of a totally subjective nature such as instruments, music, etc..

That said, I disagree with any of this 'thin sounding, less sustain' talk of the EJ-200SCE.

I too had the dr500mce and it certainly didn't have even a bit more sustain than the EJ does.

And has a BIG, deep, or subtle tone/sound if lightly plucked. Just an outrageously incredible price for a guitar of this quality.

And the finish... wow. (I think Epiphone is nuts to not offer the AJ45 in a gloss finish)

Comparing the two are apples/oranges. One is a dread, the other a super jumbo, one is mahogany, the other maple.

I'm not going to consider one being solid the other laminate, because even the Gibsons of the 50s and beyond had laminated b&s, and most of those oldies are great players.

The usual disclaimers apply, JMHO, YMMV, etc...

Archived