Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Here Use The Fishman Rare Earth Blend?

BluesKing777

He reminds me of some weird American version of Paul McCartney.

Funny you should write that I was thinking he sounded like McCartney too.

I wonder if all the fancy stuff he does is to keep his audience from getting bored, or to keep him from getting bored!

I think he did all the fancy stuff to get BK777 to hurry up and decide on which pick ups to buy so he can tell us too. The suspense is killing me.

FMA

Funny you should write that I was thinking he sounded like McCartney too.

I think he did all the fancy stuff to get BK777 to hurry up and decide on which pick ups to buy so he can tell us too. The suspense is killing me.

FMA

I will probably buy all the suckers, because they don't let you borrow them for an hour or 2, and the truth of it is I really want to buy that 2016 Hummingbird....or the toasty top J45 or that ...gulp Authentic Legendary Historic instead and I don't have any room to put it. There I said it! I have guitar buying fever.

BluesKing777.

There I said it! I have guitar buying fever.

BluesKing777.

That's because you hang around with Jesse Dylan.

I saw a guy perform at my church the other night. Fell in love with his guitar: a Martin D-18 amber tone. Definitely wanted to buy one until I realized I already have one except it's called a Gibson Hummingbird. Gas attack over (well almost).

s-l300.jpg

On the overkill theme, near the track I often ride my bike is a house with a dork about my age that collects not guitars but.....yep....radio controlled planes!

But the other week, I was huffing along the track and I was blipped by a silver football size and shape gadget of his that follows the curve of the bike track exactly.

He was standing on his lawn with a fancy controller! No more boring planes.

BluesKing777.

The Fishman RE Blend arrived at 7.10 pm my time by express parcel. I assumed they only worked to about 2 pm and have never had a post delivery after that time. Fedex is different though - I have had a guitar turn up at 6.00 pm. All just to keep you on your toes!

It is now 10.30 pm our time and I have installed it in my CEO7 for now. The mag pickup part is easy and I have a bit of experience putting those in and out guitars, but that mic on my new Fish Blend is a cow of a thing to get in position, wherever that is supposed to be? Manual not much. Next time I take the unit out of the guitar, I might put a piece of string or something on the mic end so I can pull it around without squeezing my hand in thar!

Very, very early days yet but it sounds great.

(Dog not happy, I have been doodling with guitars in his allotted evening walking time and now I am on the enemy iPad and his eyes are daggers!)

BluesKing777.

Yeah they are a bit of a pugger to install and pull just because of dangling mike. But you will get your hands around fast and also experiment a bit with positioning. I normallh position it middle of sounhole, about 2 inches below the strings.

Now take the pooch for a walk !

The Fishman RE Blend arrived at 7.10 pm my time by express parcel. I assumed they only worked to about 2 pm and have never had a post delivery after that time. Fedex is different though - I have had a guitar turn up at 6.00 pm. All just to keep you on your toes!

It is now 10.30 pm our time and I have installed it in my CEO7 for now. The mag pickup part is easy and I have a bit of experience putting those in and out guitars, but that mic on my new Fish Blend is a cow of a thing to get in position, wherever that is supposed to be? Manual not much. Next time I take the unit out of the guitar, I might put a piece of string or something on the mic end so I can pull it around without squeezing my hand in thar!

Very, very early days yet but it sounds great.

(Dog not happy, I have been doodling with guitars in his allotted evening walking time and now I am on the enemy iPad and his eyes are daggers!)

BluesKing777.

Yeah they are a bit of a pugger to install and pull just because of dangling mike. But you will get your hands around fast and also experiment a bit with positioning. I normallh position it middle of sounhole, about 2 inches below the strings.

Now take the pooch for a walk !

Thanks EA!

Dog had the walkies - he was on a mission to hurry THAT way (wherever his nose points) and don't let that old Lab lying around image get you - he can cover some territory, let me say! All happy now and once he relaxes and snores, I will go and fiddle with that mic!

Middle of the soundhole 2 inches below the strings sounds like a good idea. So you just bend it back there with your fingers? I left the shape it comes in and it was getting stuck in the braces. I might have to take it out and fiddle - it must be more flexible than I imagined, but I was scared of breaking it off at the pickup. Currently it is behind the x brace towards the bridge plate, so bend it back to the hole? Yikes.

BluesKing777.

I don't believe it - I got an email from a guitarist I know.

He has seen some of my guitars and is always full of so many questions that I get grumpy. Enough already! I don't know.

So he keeps asking what the best acoustic is and I tell him a few to try and I don't know whether he actually does. The other day he emailed be about this one he can get for this much - what do I think? No idea, so I said the old....need to play it first.....

So the email today was a surprise because he didn't buy anything I recommended - he bought a brand new Australian Maton SRS70C which is a cutaway spruce and Aust Blackwood dread with barn door electronics, and the weird part......it comes standard with the soundhole mic on a boom like the Fishman REB!!!!.

BluesKing777.

So you just bend it back there with your fingers?

Yep, i twist and turn it until its how i like it. They are designed for that so dont be shy.

Cant believe the other bloke bought the Maton, so many better options. But Ill stop giving my opinion on other brands for a while as Im getting sniped left right and center on the AGF for daring to challenge the business sense of Ovation making a come back.

Yep, i twist and turn it until its how i like it. They are designed for that so dont be shy.

Cant believe the other bloke bought the Maton, so many better options. But Ill stop giving my opinion on other brands for a while as Im getting sniped left right and center on the AGF for daring to challenge the business sense of Ovation making a come back.

Me too - he will be down here quick enough to show it off and [biggrin] ......he has had a lot of problems with pickups and live sound so that is the reason for the buy. He also liked my Hummingbird copy ala the Beater, so you know..... [mellow] ....

So it is very late here and I just came back from fiddling with the new pickup in the CEO7 which has no hope of an Aura image, so the mic on the Fishman is just great to get some of the unique sound. My old L-0 has no image either so...could be next.

To simplify things, I ran the pickup lead in to my A&H mixer and headphones and the mic sounded superb eq'd pretty flat and positioned as close as I could get to EA's suggested position. It also sounded great with a 25% pickup,so I unplugged and put it in my Aura (with images off of course) and TC Helicon thingy and it doesn't sound much good.

Then I remembered the A&H has different settings on the inputs on #3, #4. The blurb from A&H:

'This mixer is a guitarist’s dream. Two of the 4 mono channels have high impedance jack inputs that can take a normal line level or a low level input from a guitar pickup, so guitars can be plugged straight into the mixer without the need for DI boxes. These inputs have been crafted to recreate the sound of a classic tube preamp in a combo or head amp for incredible definition and warmth.'

Yep, all great, except in my gadgets it sounds all a bit 'hollow' with a real zingy ring on the open g string.

And my friend's guitar won't be going in that one, will it!

I also put the lead tie, that came with the pickup lead, around the mic and tied it over the pickup to keep it in place....

BluesKing777.

Do you guys have to pay as much of a mark-up on Gibson/Martin as the Brits do, or is it not quite as severe in Auz? I know you guys are low against the dollar at the moment (which surprised the heck out of me--I think the Canadian dollar might even be higher than ours now)

That's because you hang around with Jesse Dylan.

I saw a guy perform at my church the other night. Fell in love with his guitar: a Martin D-18 amber tone. Definitely wanted to buy one until I realized I already have one except it's called a Gibson Hummingbird. Gas attack over (well almost).

s-l300.jpg

I had a Martin D-18 (pre-2012), and it was great. Really nothing like a Hummingbird, though. I think the post-2012 D-18 does close the gap a little and has similarities now to both the Bird and to Martin's other scalloped dreads. And it looks great in Ambertone, but one reason I always thought that was because I was desperate for a Hummingbird. :)

The Bird is easier-playing (I think a short-scale D-18 would be nicer). The Bird has significantly less power, but that's fine by me. The Bird also works really well with light strings, where I think even the post-2012 D-18 is designed more for mediums. If I were going into a bluegrass jam, I'd probably choose an ambertone D-18, not a Hummingbird, but I'm not going into a bluegrass jam. :)

They are truly both fantastic guitars, each with pros/cons. I think they'd actually make a fine pair.

I swapped the unit into my D28 to try with the bigger box!

Mic makes it awkward to put in the soundhole, but one of the reasons for trying the D28 is I am pretty sure the soundhole is bigger, though I have not measured it. Sorry, measurement types.

I kept the plastic tie I put on the end of the mic and after connecting the pickup, I used the tie to pull the mic into position and I did get the mic in a position close to EA's suggested middle of the soundhole just as the plastic tie slipped off. Rats.

It sounds absolutely superb through my A&H mixer! Added just three whiskers of mag to give body and there we are! Perfect and better than hoped.

I will plug into my TC Helicon and sort out that different for some reason basic sound next.

BluesKing777.

I swapped the unit into my D28 to try with the bigger box!

Mic makes it awkward to put in the soundhole, but one of the reasons for trying the D28 is I am pretty sure the soundhole is bigger, though I have not measured it. Sorry, measurement types.

I'm not a measurement type, but it is definitely bigger!

How come more professional acts and the like don't use mics and then just use ear monitors?

No idea - don't want to muck up their hair or lipstick? :rolleyes:

And they are waiting for BK777 to lead the way to acoustic nirvana on stage while they happily plug their Elements direct to a PA to produce that torn and ripping cardboard sound every time they play a G chord?

There is a list of Fish Blend users here:

http://fishmanaus.com.au/fishman/pickups/F00030

BluesKing777.

Really enjoying this pickup!

You most definitely have to play different when you move the little control from the mic to the mag just coming on, and way, way different for the half each setting and full mag! Well, for fingerpicking it is!

For now, I am entranced by having a mic option that is portable between guitars .... And easily to other rooms in my house....

I know it would feedback if played loud in a live situation, same with any mic and acoustic, but has anyone here actually used it live with just the mic sound?

BluesKing777.

This pickup and mic are wonderful!

Week's ownership report.

I really like the little mic and its sound. The catch is the lead dangling but the portability to other guitars is brilliant.

The jack is stereo. You can run a splitter lead (Y cable) so the mag pickup goes to one channel in a mixer and the mic goes to another channel for eq and mixing etc.

I was thinking the other Fishman Ellipse Blend model with a mic and undersaddle pickup might be cool for splitting - I could have it through my Aura pedal for undersaddle pickup and the mic in another channel.........NO...Computer SAYS No. - The Ellipse jack is mono, so no splitting!

BUT what I could try (when I am sick of the wonderful sound I'm getting through my D28 and feel like takng the thing out, maybe never - it is a nuisance) is putting the Fish Blend in my J45, running the Baggs pickup that came with the guitar to my Aura pedal then mixer......and the Fish Blend to another channel and Hey Presto, what will I get?

Instead, I'm going for a rid on my pushbike.

BluesKing777.

So youre saying you like it, hey ?

I just use a bit of tape abd lightly stick the lead to the top of the guitar, a bit to the right and out if the way and then it stops being annoying.

This pickup and mic are wonderful!

Week's ownership report.

I really like the little mic and its sound. The catch is the lead dangling but the portability to other guitars is brilliant.

The jack is stereo. You can run a splitter lead (Y cable) so the mag pickup goes to one channel in a mixer and the mic goes to another channel for eq and mixing etc.

I was thinking the other Fishman Ellipse Blend model with a mic and undersaddle pickup might be cool for splitting - I could have it through my Aura pedal for undersaddle pickup and the mic in another channel.........NO...Computer SAYS No. - The Ellipse jack is mono, so no splitting!

BUT what I could try (when I am sick of the wonderful sound I'm getting through my D28 and feel like takng the thing out, maybe never - it is a nuisance) is putting the Fish Blend in my J45, running the Baggs pickup that came with the guitar to my Aura pedal then mixer......and the Fish Blend to another channel and Hey Presto, what will I get?

Instead, I'm going for a rid on my pushbike.

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777.

Well I am just back from a guitar practice and home recording session doing just what I said above - put the Fish Blend into my J45 soundhole and the Baggs Element thru my Aura pedal with a nice J45 image and both in stereo off to my mixer for a nice blend. Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!

I did 4 great recordings of some Neil stuff and it was the best I have ever done or you have ever heard and when I played it back -----zip, nothing, zero. Investigations find the USB lead not plugged into the computer....... [thumbdn] maybe I exaggerate about the quality............well I thought it was going to be pretty good..........(the one that got away and all that!)

The J45 doesn't really need all that stuff and leads - the Fish Blend in the sound hole on 'mic' only is just superb!!!!!!

BluesKing777.

Archived