Gibson Brands Forums

Sorina Bass. New Gibson Electric

dbrian66

I hope someone here will be able to provide me with some info on this bass. My co-worker brought this in for me to get it back into playing condition. I have never heard of this brand and can find little info online. On the headstock it says Telecaster Deluxe. And then in the little round red circle it says New Gibson Electric. So it says telecaster and Gibson on the headstock and looks like a Fender jazz bass. I'm confused!

87187F25-656D-425D-9F52-35602263AA03_zpsyufawy57.jpg

5E5D99DA-07DF-46FB-9072-E5919F0743A6_zpswtzxaegp.jpg

D7496208-AB17-4DFD-BC13-902C3D67AD9A_zpsdhc6rmem.jpg

07EA3614-5678-4F0C-B4F9-6F9624DC6CAB_zpsifnyekqg.jpg

101D94F1-8CA5-4DE6-B686-CCCFDF390D89_zpsprzna3ji.jpg

3F59E94C-369E-4C1F-AA94-5B87D8FC2BFB_zpsqnbryhnt.jpg

A07A7849-B6EC-444B-8DC1-B39CBB681DBB_zps0c9ru53f.jpg

D4A3FA04-DD8F-4A39-B59E-7C30B64049B5_zpsuounvknn.jpg[/url

375C042C-2DE5-42D5-A0B0-D3D297214975_zpsu3jyoqqh.jpg

32B8229E-390A-4A6C-8783-3E78324B3D59_zpszbzrmgpa.jpg

Thank you in advance for any info on this.

I hope someone here will be able to provide me with some info on this bass. My co-worker brought this in for me to get it back into playing condition. I have never heard of this brand and can find little info online. On the headstock it says Telecaster Deluxe. And then in the little round red circle it says New Gibson Electric. So it says telecaster and Gibson on the headstock and looks like a Fender jazz bass. I'm confused!

Thank you in advance for any info on this.

From everything i have read they were made in asia, and i dont believe in Japan so the quality was probably little lacking. Dont believe it was a genuine Gibson product either, could have used some Gibson parts but they seem to be one of those short lived asian factories that are difficult to get much info on. Im guessing the QC isnt all that great on those, but yours is certainly pretty handsome. I have read conflicting reports on whether or not it was an actual sub licensed gibson product so you may want to be careful about selling it.

My best guess is its a knockoff company just using that sticker to suck in buyers. I wonder what Gibson has to say tho? Maybe the mods can tell the legitimacy of whether it was an original old gibson licensed product like epiphone, maestro etc, or if they consider it a counterfeit??

I'm leaning towards it not being associated with Gibson as well. One of the things I've read is that it was designed by Don Gibson and named after his daughter Sorina. The way Gibson is written on the guitar sure looks a lot like the real Gibson logo though. Again, maybe just a ploy to get people to buy them. It seems to be a decent instrument though. It weighs a ton.

I understand there were a lot of copies that were sold in Vietnam that made it over. I've seen a few through the years, and the craftsmanship on this reminds me of them.

I am positive though this was not affiliated with Fender OR Gibson in any way.

For a time, there were a number of knock-offs made that made no effort to avoid lawsuits or share the market legally. Pretty sure this is one of them. I think it's kinda charming they they put Fender and Gibson on it to cover both bases.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, nobody, including the internet, seems to have much info on these guitars. I have come to the conclusion that it is a knockoff that is not worth very much at all. It does seem to be a well built guitar though, so I am going to bring it back to life with new electronics, a good cleaning, a new set of strings, and a good setup. I don't play bass very much and to be honest, don't know much about them. My question to all the bass players out there is this. As far as strings go, is there a type and gauge that are better for beginners on the type of bass? It looks like it is a copy of a Fender jazz bas. It hass a 34 in. scale. The guy who ownes the guitar is a middle age guy getting ready for retirement and wants to learn how to play the bass. Any suggestions are welcome!

I primarily play bass. To me, the brand doesn't matter, but I recently bought a set of Rotosounds and really like them. I think they were RS66LD. You should probably buy nickel strings. They say that nickel is softer, but I don't play that much that I will ever ruin the frets by using stainless steel strings. So for me, it does not matter.

Also, if you look on YouTube, there's a guy that gives free lessons. I believe this is a link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWTj3vCqkQIsrTGSm4kM34g

He seems cool and has some good advice.

Archived