Gibson Brands Forums

59 Tribute specs.

Jsinicropi

Tell me about the 50's wiring you did and how it improves the tone. I do notice muddiness when I roll the volume back.

Thanks

Other than what ths controls "control" (individual control of two pups together vs one volume controlling both when both pups are used), the main difference "electrically" is with 50's type wiring, the tone control is effecting the sum of the volume AFTER the volume control, where 60's is effecting the tone BEFORE the volume control.

so, in other words, if the volume is at half, the tone is having it's effect on half of the signal. As opposed to having the volume set at half, but still having tone control having it's effect on full signal.

Other than what ths controls "control" (individual control of two pups together vs one volume controlling both when both pups are used), the main difference "electrically" is with 50's type wiring, the tone control is effecting the sum of the volume AFTER the volume control, where 60's is effecting the tone BEFORE the volume control.

so, in other words, if the volume is at half, the tone is having it's effect on half of the signal. As opposed to having the volume set at half, but still having tone control having it's effect on full signal.

Cool, so does the Traditionals come with 50's or modern.

Thanks again

Cool, so does the Traditionals come with 50's or modern.

Thanks again

I have no idea. They keep changing it, as they do the pot values. As you might have read.

Personally, when I buy a guitar, I don't consider that, because it's something easily changed and for very little cost. BUT, if I am considering the pickups, they either sound good or they don't. I wouldn't assume they would sound good later if they don't "as-is".

While I don't have a lot of experience wiring humbucker or Gibson guitars, (more than a lot of folks though), what I would say is that not all humbucker Gibsons need the "50's" wiring to sound best. Or, to not have the tone seem to get darker as the volume is rolled down. Where as P-90 guitars SEEM to me to want 50's wiring to work best.

Welcome to the club!

What guitar did you buy?

I got a NOS 2014 Traditional. I looked at a 2015 SP one, but the 2014's, I think are better. I only bought it on Saturday and haven't had much chance to play it yet. I cant decide if I should take it to band practice tonight or use my older Classic.

Ian

I got a NOS 2014 Traditional. I looked at a 2015 SP one, but the 2014's, I think are better. I only bought it on Saturday and haven't had much chance to play it yet. I cant decide if I should take it to band practice tonight or use my older Classic.

Ian

Nice!

I would test the new one at band practice. Well if I would play in a band I'd like to know how the pickups cut through the mix.

On the other hand it's a brand new guitar, and that would make me nervous.

Anyway, congratulations to you for your new Traditional.msp_thumbup.gif

Enjoy it!

Archived