Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter deluxe from ebay, did I do the right thing?

george

Hi there all' date=' just bought this and would appreciate any opinion on the validity. Looks fair enough to me, I own a wm45 that I'm very fond of and this looked like a decent buy. Cheers, George.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170296498594[/quote']

Links not there George but I am quite interested as I bought a SWD12 from a guy on south coast via Ebay last year

Found your guitar the hard way!

This link might work

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIBSON-Songwriter-Deluxe-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ170296498594QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item170296498594&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It looks Ok to me evrything where it should be.

As a matter of interest does yours have a soundhole volume wheel.....mine never did!

Good idea to chaeck the serial number

go here

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

or here

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

If it stacks up that may help put your mind at rest

Albertjohn has a 6 string so he'll chip in to help a fellow Brit

Welcome George

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170296498594

hopefully that'll work better sorry about that. cut and paste.

Thanks there, that's the very guitar. So many questions I never asked, I only spotted the guitar with 20 minutes to go and no bids so just went on first feeling. Protected through paypal so I can do the serial check when it arrives. The photos are far from clear but it seems to be cool, just a lack of bidders.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170296498594

hopefully that'll work better sorry about that. cut and paste.

Thanks there' date=' that's the very guitar. So many questions I never asked, I only spotted the guitar with 20 minutes to go and no bids so just went on first feeling. Protected through paypal so I can do the serial check when it arrives. The photos are far from clear but it seems to be cool, just a lack of bidders.[/quote']

Same thing happened with my 12. It had a start price of £800. I bid with 15 secs to £863.47.

I got it for £800, only bidder!

AJ said he saw one at £1800 not long ago.

I am pretty sure you're fine with that George

A Good buy!

Same thing happened with my 12. It had a start price of £800. I bid with 15 secs to £863.47.

I got it for £800' date=' only bidder!

AJ said he saw one at £1800 not long ago.

I am pretty sure you're fine with that George

A Good buy![/quote']

The £1800 one was a new SWD12. Retail new for a 6er is about £1300 + at the moment so it looks to be a very good buy.

Let us know all about it when you get it.

BTW I was watching this one just out of interest. They are pretty rare on ebay it seems.

Is purchasing with PayPal like a credit card? i.e. if it's not fit for purpose you get your money back from the card company?

Aye, that's the idea, but having had a couple of e-mails from the guy, I'm a bit more relaxed. Curious about the vintage Gibson he has on offer but happy with what I have.

Possibly what I'm more nervous about is that in buying the wm45, I tried a bucketloat in Chicago of both js and wms, very variable which is understandable, I got a really nice one. So buying such a guitar unplayed is a concern, my guess is that at that price, I should be able to get that back. I just missed out on the last songwriter in the shop that time (in Chicago) which was my preferance.

Many thanks for the replies and guitar in the post tomorrow so fingers crossed........

George - nice one on that geet, I thought it all looked AOK to me as I was "watching" purely out of interest.

Incidentally, eBay UK has had some relatively good looking deals in recent weeks, so if folk are prepared for a gamble/drive'n'buy, there appears some "bargains" to be had...

Nonetheless fella, lets see some pics and hear you get on with her!

George - nice one on that geet, I thought it all looked AOK to me as I was "watching" purely out of interest.

Incidentally, eBay UK has had some relatively good looking deals in recent weeks, so if folk are prepared for a gamble/drive'n'buy, there appears some "bargains" to be had...

Nonetheless fella, lets see some pics and hear you get on with her!

Hi again, arrived safely and had to wait til today to get my mits on it as I was through in Glasgow seeing Mary Gauthier and Carrie Rodriguez last night. The strings had been put on so weirdly that I had to cut them to get them off, wrapped way too many times round the tuners so not helping the sound and the strings were so so dead, long time since I've seen strings in so dire need of changing. But on changing, like having a new guitar, lovely. With all the gunk cleaned off (long time since it'd been wiped) all sparkly and new too. In very good nick considering that the owner had used the last strings to within an inch of their lives.

07 built and there is a volume wheel inside the soundhole at the top edge. Couldn't be happier really, thanks again for the reassurances, ebay is such a worry.

George. I'm pleased it's all it should be. The SWD is building a reputation as a fine model even if it's the new kid in town. Some of our more traditional fellow members are perhaps yet to be persauded but I love mine and it's beginning to get a following. Dave Grohl uses one so it must be OK!

The soundhole volume is correct as yours has the LR Baggs system I believe. The cutaway, like mine, has a Fishman arrangement with tuner, eq, etc. The Baggs is reputed to be the better system.

I've sold 3 guitars on ebay and all have been very successful transactions. I've never bought one though I may have a bit of a tickle at that j185 which I gather may be relisted soon. I've seen this guitar otherwise I'd be too cautious to bid serious money on a guitar without seeing it.

Hope it all goes well. Cheers

Ah Dave Grohl, famed for his fleet fingerstyle meanderings and flatpicking extrapolations or is he that drummer fellow? Aye, I've bought one guitar on ebay before but being a telecaster (Musikraft parts with seymore duncans for a pittance), that was a bit more like buying a toaster. Acoustics are a differant animal so I had fun in Glasgow yesterday trying various Martins, Taylors etc convincing myself that I'd done the right thing. Certainly have.

I just bought a new Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio - looks like the same guitar. ended up paying about $1650 US, so Can't help you on whether it was a good deal or not, I'm not sure what they run in the UK. Mine does have a volume wheel just inside the sound hole.

I can tell you that for me, this is the best sounding guitar I've ever played, and I played a TON of high end acoustics searching for my guitar. The lows rumble and purr, the high's ring - clear as a bell. I would suggest using Medium strings - 13s on her - as I think that really does capture the best of what this guitar is meant to produce. I think you can't go wrong with it. Best of luck.

George. I'm pleased it's all it should be. The SWD is building a reputation as a fine model even if it's the new kid in town. Some of our more traditional fellow members are perhaps yet to be persauded but I love mine and it's beginning to get a following. Dave Grohl uses one so it must be OK

I really enjoy the "Skin & Bones" CD and especially the DVD of the Foo Fighters concert from Los Angeles. He does play the SWD in some songs but relies mostly on a Dove. He even breaks out a what looks like a Southern Jumbo for a song or two. What a talent.

Rob

George, congrats! I'm glad you got a good 'un. How was Mary Gauthier? I love her stuff. 'I Drink' is one of my all-time favourites. Whereabouts in The Home Of The Brave are you based? I'm often up your way when I'm touring, great audiences to be found in Scotland, IMHO. Amazingly beautiful country by and large, too.

Nice guitar you've bought... I have a 2004 SWD and LOVE it. Went into a store to look at Martins and their various necks, picked up the second hand SWD and immediately loved the tone above all the new Martins. So I bought it. I'm Scottish but live in NY and I'm horrified at the prices people in the UK have to pay for guitars...but you got a good deal on yours...congrats...and enjoy it. I know the SWD is not supposed to be a cannon or banjo killer, but it sure can sound like one...

Rc

Well one of the reasons I got the bint was to be a banjo killer for the odd bluegrass session but I hate to join the Martin Bluegrass Pickers assiciation.

Hey Arcadian, we had a good time for american guitars here for a fair while, 2 to 1 on the dollar, bit differant now. Guitars coming in now are 30% higher priced that 2 months ago.

Jinder, i'm in Edinburgh, I've listened to your stuff, I look forward to your next trip this way. Mary Gauthier was brilliant, she holds a crowd like few can, I Drink was outstanding but all her songs hit the mark, Camelot Hotel which she admits is a songwriting excercise is great.

The Taylor that gets close is the 714 and I say only close, it's a hell of a lot more expensive.

Archived