Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 crack fizzle pop

jon335

Hi I have a 2008 ES 335 custom shop dot reissue. I have played it for about 6 months and loved it. Then a power valve in my Peavey VK112 blew whilst I was playing. I replaced all the valves with identical ones and the sound was really distorted and low volume. I took the amp to be serviced and the tech replaced a couple of blown resistors. I have the volume back but not the great tone that I used to get. I mostly play rhythm so I want clean and loud, but now I find that the sound distorts at much lower volume. I sometimes get a loud crackle as well. I have checked all my leads for continuity and shorting using a multimeter, all OK as far as I can tell . So my question after all this is......could the power valve blowing have damaged any of the wiring or components within the guitar? I know that there are some capacitors in there as well as the pots, could they be damaged? is there a way to check any of these> I'm a bit reluctant to head back to the guitar shop if there is something that I can test or fix myself so I would really appreciate any advice. [/size]

Really doubtful there's damage to your guitar. If you wanted to check, plug it into a different amp and see if you get the same problems.

As for your amp, I'd try to figure out why the power tube blew in the first place and what else might have been damaged when that happened. Might be more than a couple resistors.

Archived