Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional to 59 conversion

Jsinicropi

Great Pippy,

One of my Les Paul's is a 2008!......................................I still don't sound like Peter Green, it must be broken :)

Ian

Is that a chambered one? This could make some difference, so I guess it is probably still in good working order. ;)

I do know there are many success stories in making the solid body Traditionals sound closer to the historics by doing a few things.

Be careful! Lots of people who plunged into disaster like entrapping others to follow them. A problem shared is a problem halved - why not motivate others to burn lots of money, too?

I recommend rereading Rct's post #19.

...I recommend rereading Rct's post #19...

Decent Les Pauls into decent amps at decent gains and volumes played by a fairly well rehearsed and experience guitar player all sound the same: Great...

Whilst agreeing 100% with the general thrust of rct's excellent post I'd just like to mention that although my brood all sound 'Great' they don't all sound the same...

[tongue]

Pip the Nit-Picker.

Whilst agreeing 100% with the general thrust of rct's excellent post I'd just like to mention that although my brood all sound 'Great' they don't all sound the same...

[tongue]

Pip the Nit-Picker.

It's about the same here, or a single Les Paul would have done. Anyway, I'm a nit-picker, too, not only when about great tones... [biggrin]

Decent Les Pauls into decent amps at decent gains and volumes played by a fairly well rehearsed and experience guitar player all sound the same: Great. The 59 and 58 and blah blah RI and R12 and RI67 and blah blah blah is all just Feel Good stuff. If you can play, you can play any of them and sound like a guitar player using a Les Paul. That's all that matters. The recorder doesn't know what parts are on it and the listener doesn't care.

rct

True, however the listener is not the one playing the guitar. A guitar that has a special connection with the player allows the player to often times, be more creative and loose themselves in the music. I find when I have a great piece of gear or a great tool, I forget that I'm using that tool or instrument and can concentrate on the taste at hand, whether it's playing the guitar or wrenching on a project. If I have inferior tools or instruments, I'm constantly fiddling with them to try and get that sound so that I can close my eyes and just play.

That being said, I'm sure there are many recordings that we won't hear what the musicians heard at the exact moment when there were doing they're thing in the studio. Page says he always goes back that one Les Paul and will never get rid of it. He used it on most of the recordings and live shows once he got it from Joe Walsh.

EVH played that awesome beat up old red white and black strat which had many different necks and pickups but the same body.

Gary Moore had Peter Greens LP and that was his favorite for some reason.

Slash had the Kris Derrig fake Les Paul

SRV had that killer beat to **** strat

All these guitars are iconic and rock guitar music world and you can recognize them by sound and sight because of the special connection between the artist and his tools. I've played crappy guitars and worked with inferior tools and it sucks. I work in an industry that says use the right tool for the right job. Same theory goes for musicians and instruments, IMO

Put them in my hands and I'd like hate the way they felt and played. I played the $25K EVH Frank once, I thought it was the biggest piece of s@#$ I had played and actually couldn't play it.

Some of the greatest recordings were also done by some of the best sound engineers.

E Kramer

G Martin

T Templeton

Q Jones

Icons who produced iconic hits.

I say the listener cares as much as the musician playing that instrument.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Crids said:

Screenshot_20210207-092106_Gallery.thumb.jpg.020cc618faa542ba92f0f601016e73f9.jpgOpinions are like as*h,%les. Everyone has one. If you want to mod it...do it...if not ...dont. But dont let any so called experts tell you what you should do. 

You know new guy this is a 5 year old thread you are just dredged  up right.