Gibson Brands Forums

Worth replacing stock caps?

Bluemoon

The main factor that contributes to different characteristics is the dielectric material. Generally in audio' date=' the best material is polypropylene. I note that some prefer paper and oil dielectric for guitars, just be aware that the ones being promoted especially for guitars seems absurdly expensive (at least to me). ...

DJ

--[/quote']

Thank you. This helps. Sometime ago, I posted another question related to capacitors (somewhere) and somebody made a suggestion of using Tone Styler (http://www.stellartone.com/index.asp). Although I have not tried it myself, one could bypass the guitar tone circuit entirely and run the signal through a multi-band graphic equalizer to shape the tone?

Although I have not tried it myself' date=' one could bypass the guitar tone circuit entirely and run the signal through a multi-band graphic equalizer to shape the tone? [/quote']

Absolutely! You would then get more treble straight out of the pickup, i.e. more tonal material to shape. No reason not to try if you're so inclined. The modification only takes 10 minutes to do and 10 minutes to reverse if you don't like it...

DJ

--

i changed from stock cheapo ceramic caps in my LP to Sprague Vitamin Q not so cheapo caps and i can't hear much of a difference. I mainly play through a clean channel. Most of it is hype and mojo, but with the tone fully rolled down, the Vit Q's sound a little creamier, not by much though. that my 2 cents

I have to wait before I can really deal with mine, the pots are going south because the place where I live, in the mountains, is totally surrounded by rivers, dams, and lakes.

Its so humid that dust turns green in just days.

I do have a few capacitors on hand, I'll just hold off until I get the pots replaced.

How about daisychaining two caps?

Does anyone know if the pots are available at 1000k?

Archived