Gibson Brands Forums

Still unhappy

skilsaw

I bought a new 2013 LP Standard around this time last year when I heard the 2015 prices were going up.

With the strings in tune using an electronic tuner, I had a problem with the first fret, G# on the G string being too sharp. It was particularly noticable when playing an E chord.

After some negotiation, the store brought in an identical guitar and gave me an exchange. The problem should have ended there, but the new guitar had the same problem. I bit my tongue and accepted it but the problem has been a constant annoyance for a year. The problem is apparent to my teacher, and he just shakes his head in disbelief, having tuned and played the guitar himself to make sure it wasn't something I was doing.

I'm ready to take it back again, thinking I might upgrade to a Custom Shop LP or I could jump over to an American Deluxe Stratocaster.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? What was your solution? Any advice?

To check if it is a high nut, use your tuner, and check ALL the frets, and see where they are in relation.

A high nut will be shown if the notes get sharper as you get closer to the nut. Or going the other way, flatter as you go away from the nut.

No guitar can be perfect on all frets, but it can be close, especially when they are averaged.

Guest Farnsbarns

Ask your teacher for more because shaking his head doesn't tell you much. Is there any possibility it's technique?

There's abviously no reason it should be worse in an open e major unless you're unknowingly using too much pressure in your index finger when shaping that chord.

On the other hand, if it is the guitar and it's only happening on the low frets of the g string then the nut slot is too high or your intonation requires adjustment at the bridge. If it's only the first fret on the g string then it simply has to be the nut slot. No other explanation, this is a very simple closed system.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived