Gibson Brands Forums

Another "Not a Gibson but...." new guitar in the family.......

Taylor Player

Yes... I still love Gibson's, but my "Moniker" should tell you all what else I love......

After playing both my Clapton Strat and my 1986 or 1987 Phantom Strat Copy side by side a few days ago and realizing that I sound equally crappy playing electric on either, I decided to keep the Phantom copy and try and trade my Clapton Sig Strat for something that would get played more. Yesterday I ended up trading my 1995 Eric Clapton Signature Strat for a 2006 built Taylor GSMC (GS5). It features a Western Red Cedar top and Beautiful Tropical American Mahogany back and sides. It is the GS (Grand Symphony) shape that Bob Taylor designed back in 2006 and is a first year run of what then started calling the GS5 in 2007. Origianlly the designation GSMC was for the Grand Symphony Mahogany Cedar guitars but they only called them that for the first year.

I have not owned a Cedar top steel string before. I used to have a Classical that had a cedar top but I never bonded with Classical guitars. I have to say, this guitar with it's "Jumbo" size butt end and narrow waist with a more Grand Auditorium size upper bout size is all about fingerstyle. It has a very warm and rounded tone that splits the tonal spectrum between my small body Taylor 612C (Sitka/Maple) and my Gibson Advanced Jumbo (Sitka/Rosewood). I could not put it down last night. On top of everything, the chocolate brown lined, Brown Faux Alligator case is extremly well built and looks bullet-proof!

Here are some photos of my latest (and possibly greatest) GAS attack...

frontcase.jpg

backcase.jpg

PICT4611.jpg

PICT4602.jpg

PICT4600.jpg

And lastly.... my new "Group shot wallpaper for my computer"

Wallpaper_2_01-27-09.jpg

Looks like a nice addition to the herd......by the way I played one of these at a place called Guitar Showcase in San Jose....and was sorely tempted myself....those redwood tops are very lively, and should give you a completely new sound for the collections. I'll bet that is a really warm sounding axe.....congradulations

Looks like a nice addition to the herd......by the way I played one of these at a place called Guitar Showcase in San Jose....and was sorely tempted myself....those redwood tops are very lively' date=' and should give you a completely new sound for the collections. I'll bet that is a really warm sounding axe.....congradulations [/quote']

Thanks Robert...

It really is a nice addition. I had all three out tonight just going back and forth sitting in tonal heaven! =D>

Actually the top is not redwood but Western Red Cedar... smells as good as it looks!

Taylor.....lol....sorry about the mistake....I meant Cedar.....those tops are really light.....watch the fingernails.....they dent easy. By the way, I saw a custom Guitar made with Port Orford Cedar the other day......you know the stuff they make shoe trees, and hangers, and cedar chests, and those old yellow painted lead pencils that we all chewed before we found out about lead paint.......that baby MUSTS have smelled great!!!!

Taylor.....lol....sorry about the mistake....I meant Cedar.....those tops are really light.....watch the fingernails.....they dent easy. By the way, I saw a custom Guitar made with Port Orford Cedar the other day......you know the stuff they make shoe trees, and hangers, and cedar chests, and those old yellow painted lead pencils that we all chewed before we found out about lead paint.......that baby MUSTS have smelled great!!!!

Wow...I'm not normally prone to Taylor envy as I am a very content Gibsonite, but that GSMC is stunning...looks good enough to eat, and I'm sure it plays, sounds and smells even better! I had a Cedar/Hog Tak jumbo once...GREAT guitar, smelt unbelievable and sounded lovely, but it was a satin finished top, which combined with the soft cedar meant I sawed right through the top with my pick after a year on the road with it!

Wow...I'm not normally prone to Taylor envy as I am a very content Gibsonite' date=' but that GSMC is stunning...looks good enough to eat, and I'm sure it plays, sounds and smells even better! I had a Cedar/Hog Tak jumbo once...GREAT guitar, smelt unbelievable and sounded lovely, but it was a satin finished top, which combined with the soft cedar meant I sawed right through the top with my pick after a year on the road with it![/quote']

Thanks for the nice words Jinder... Yes it does play, sound and smell deliciously! I am especially loving this in DADGAD. Last night I was playing 3 Al Petteway tunes I do in DADGAD and the bass response on this is haunting! The trebils have excellent sustain but the bass blends so well it makes me smile while playing. This guitar is way too much fun and very hard to put down at the end of the night. Bob Taylor's GS design is sure to be a winner in the long run. It just fits perfectly in my lap as I play.

Archived