Gibson Brands Forums

Headstock inlay cracks

axiology

I searched for previous discussions about this, not finding any. This doesn't pertain to just les pauls, but pretty much all Gibsons with inlays in the headstock.

It seems to me that it's a common thing to develop cracks in the finish around the "Gibson" inlay. My 2002 Standard and J185EC have these cracks. Maybe I'm wrong but other similarly made instruments don't seem to have this problem - Guild for instance.

Andrew

Yes just like in the picture, cracks in the finish all around the edges of inlays. Guild headstocks are very similar, black, with same type of inlay material, with nitro finish. I've seen some older Gibsons that were really bad. When I first saw one I thought someone was trying to make a fake gibson and did a horrible job of adding the gibson logo.

I can't imagine they're not aware of this issue, and have done nothing to correct it. It's such a common thing.

Really what CAN they do though... They wont remove the Nitro' date=' and nothing else is sensible.[/quote']

As I see it, it's been a long standing issue. Other manufacturers don't seem to have this problem. Surely something can be done to stop it happening with the new instruments they produce.

With older instruments it may be a fairly simple procedure to refinish the front of the headstock. Has anyone done this,or had it done by a guitar tech?

Andrew

Not sure what you mean by "cracks," but if you're referring to an indentation that follows around the outline of the inlay, then that's the natural process of the lacquer shrinking into a gap between the wood and the inlay. The inlay could be perfectly tight when it's made, but over time the wood expansion and contraction of the wood against an immovable inlay causes a gap to appear. The stability of fiber peghead veneers may be one reason they switched from stained holly headstock overlays.

Guild, by the way, does not use pearl for their heastock logo. It's "mother of toilet seat" just like the Gibby fretboard inlays. I believe Gibson uses mother of pearl for the headstock logo but I'd like somebody to confirm that.

Anyway if the gaps bother you they can easily be "drop-filled" by a competent repair tech. Nitrocellulose lacquer is extremely forgiving when it comes to repairs. The new lacquer burns in to the old, so a small area can be touched up and buffed out and you'll never know where the new ends and the old stuff starts.

Archived