Gibson Brands Forums

Fabric side stays vs. wood side stays

Berserker82

Gibson switched from fabric side stays to wood side stays about 1948, at least on the guitars I've owned. They don't seem to use side stays at all now except on some repro vintage models, like the Legends. You would think the whole body would vibrate better with no stays, the way they do it now. The fabric ones probably have negligible impact on body vibration. I assume they are there to reduce the chance that the sides would split.

The wood stays would seems to be more likely to have an impact on sound, but would also seem likely to provide better support if the risk of side splitting is an issue. The are basically flat vertical braces glued on the inside of the sides of the guitar, They're typically about 1/2" wide and about 1/8" thick, oval in cross section, with scalloped ends,spaced typically on about 6-8" centers. Sort of like small popsicle braces. I've seen substantially larger wood side stays on some vintage Gibsons, but I'm not sure if they were original or not.

The fabric stays are a little over 1/2" wide, and appear to be a muslin-type fabric similar in weight to the strips that were typically used over the top braces to hold things in place while the glue cured, and to give a little more gluing surface, particularly at the X-brace intersections. They are on some modern Gibsons, such as the Legends, but not on others.

Gibson seems to have decided that they are not necessary, so I have no opinion on them one way or another.

It was surprising to even see the topic of side supports come up. The last time it got some attention was when Charlie (vw1300) had posted about an old refinished J-45 of questionable vintage. Interior shots provided by the seller showed side supports, which a little research had suggested, had last been seen on 1951 Gibsons:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-13%20at%209.58.59%20PM_zpspq3rjraq.png

Nick's thoughts that side supports had pretty much become unnecessary sounds about right.

When Ren Ferguson went to Guild and designed the Orpheum series I kept an eye open for one. My Orpheum 12 fret (a Smeck inspired design) has the fabric side supports. I don't know if he thought them to be structurally important or just something that harkened back to that era but there they are. I think that he is generally recognized here as someone that knows what he's doing though.

What's the best way to find info about my specific guitar? In addition to the fabric side stays, I have so many questions about it. I was thinking of using the serial number and calling up Gibson directly to try and get information. Has anyone had luck with that? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Archived