Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 1963 ES-335 TD

Fuzzface80

Hello Gibson folks,

I just pulled the trigger on a new (but demoed model) 2015 63' ES-335 TD. I bought this beauty off of sweetwater, who perform a 55 point inspection and gives 2 year warranties on their guitars. This is my first ES style guitar. I also own a LP standard, 51 nocaster (custom shop relic), and 2 strats. This will hopefully be my last guitar (for now).

Anyhow, I was wondering if any of your have experiences with the MHS pickups. I've heard the burstbuckers, 57 classics, and other Gibson manufactured humbuckers, but not the MHS pu's. Anyone have any insight on how they sound in the ES-335 or other ES for that matter? From what I heard through youtube videos, they sound not as hot as the burstbuckers. Maybe comparable to a Cabernet to a Pinot Noir??? Anyhow, i'd appreciate any feed back on this guitar.

CHeers!

p.s.

I was deciding between the standard ES-335 Block and this 63 TD. Did I make the right decision? Here are images of the actual guitar provided by sweetwater.

42485-body-large.jpg

42485-detail1-large.jpg

Non edited photo:

post-75534-037692100 1450284193_thumb.jpg

So I received my ES-335 yesterday and it was a total lemon. I opened it up, did a quick sight down the neck and saw the nastiest backward bow/twist ever. I let it acclimate to room temp, but can tell it wasn't gonna make it. I phoned sweetwater and told them what happened. Good things came out of this. I purchased a demo version which was discounted at a great price. Since they didn't have any demos available, they were kind enough to exchange this guitar for a new one. I'm a little skeptical but I truly believe this was the luck of the draw. I plugged the guitar in just to hear the MHS pickups and boy o' boy did they sound good [flapper] . They were cleaner that the 57 classics and had a sweetness that is almost bell like. It was very articulate. The neck felt great and if it weren't for the backward bow/twist, she'd def. be a keeper. Anyhow, I will report back once I receive the exchange one. Hopefully they can give me a cherry red one :-k

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my new ES-335 TD back and i must say, it is a dream to play. Guitar sounds awesome and the neck is def. better. Action is a smidge higher, but i will see how it adjusts to current conditions. The MHS pickups are perfect. They are not as beefy and muddy sounding as the burstbuckers that are in my les paul. They are comparable to the 57 classics, but a little cleaner. I will work on a youtube review soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived