Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibsons in Australia not owned by BK777???

Fullmental Alpinist

Ha ha, let's all have fun at the fat kid's expense while he ain't lookin'...... Wait until lunchtime, my cousin Boof will have a word or two with you lot.

Well, in reply, no action to be taken on the geetars.

A quick look at the guitar fund confirmed it was empty. I just bought that beautiful Martin D18e with Aura loaded in mid November, car repaired, then Christmas hollies and gifts. And nowhere to put another guitar unless, you know, gulp, sell some...... [unsure]

I have some doubts about guitars in that Adelaide weather. Everytime I have been there, it is like an oven. They put a town right in the middle of Death Valley! 120 degrees everyday and humidity of about 3%. Those old geetars could be dry as a bone. Run a hose to the case(s) to re-humidify......

Another factor - I don't like driving across to Adelaide much - I have done it hundreds of times and various cars I have owned over the years have broken down, usually at or near a joint called Kiki, which isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ki_Ki,_South_Australia#/media/File:KI_KI_mainstreet.jpg

But to sum up, the Bird is mine! It has been there for years already, so a saving spree and a plane trip later....... [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

BluesKing777.

Funny, we were talking about dryness and humiduty and Terry reckons Adelaides actally got one of the best climates for all year round guitar maintanence. And regarding the drive, I did it in 8 hours, walk in the part mate.

As Molly would say it, do yourself a favour mate .... !

Ha ha, let's all have fun at the fat kid's expense while he ain't lookin'...... Wait until lunchtime, my cousin Boof will have a word or two with you lot.

Well, in reply, no action to be taken on the geetars.

A quick look at the guitar fund confirmed it was empty. I just bought that beautiful Martin D18e with Aura loaded in mid November, car repaired, then Christmas hollies and gifts. And nowhere to put another guitar unless, you know, gulp, sell some...... [unsure]

I have some doubts about guitars in that Adelaide weather. Everytime I have been there, it is like an oven. They put a town right in the middle of Death Valley! 120 degrees everyday and humidity of about 3%. Those old geetars could be dry as a bone. Run a hose to the case(s) to re-humidify......

Another factor - I don't like driving across to Adelaide much - I have done it hundreds of times and various cars I have owned over the years have broken down, usually at or near a joint called Kiki, which isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ki_Ki,_South_Australia#/media/File:KI_KI_mainstreet.jpg

But to sum up, the Bird is mine! It has been there for years already, so a saving spree and a plane trip later....... [flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

BluesKing777.

BluesKing777.

Boy, You've described that Adelaide weather perfectly. I've been in Adelaide once, for about a half hour. Flight from Sydney to Perth in January, 1986, stopped there. I was on my way from frigid New England, where it was about 10 degrees F and snowing, and had spent the better part of 30 hours in transit.

No jet bridge, so I walked to the door of the airplane, and out onto the ramp. I just about died.

You weren't far off when you said it was 120 degrees and 3% humidity.

The people I was doing a job for in Perth said "just keep drinking water". I kept drinking water for five days. I still almost died.

Boy, You've described that Adelaide weather perfectly. I've been in Adelaide once, for about a half hour. Flight from Sydney to Perth in January, 1986, stopped there. I was on my way from frigid New England, where it was about 10 degrees F and snowing, and had spent the better part of 30 hours in transit.

No jet bridge, so I walked to the door of the airplane, and out onto the ramp. I just about died.

You weren't far off when you said it was 120 degrees and 3% humidity.

The people I was doing a job for in Perth said "just keep drinking water". I kept drinking water for five days. I still almost died.

I must say I have never been to Poyff [biggrin] , though we know quite a few people from there that we met at the Grand Prix years back. Fairly normal, I suppose? It may be even hotter, for longer, than Adelaide... Once you live in the "Land of the Long Grey Cloud" (Melbourne and surrounds), you become allergic to too much sun and heat, possibly turn vampyric.

But if you want some strange Western Australia reading to remind you of your time there, Tim Winton novels are just a must. In particular, his 'Eyrie' comes to mind, where he was a 'big deal' but flips a lid and holes up in an old, run down flat in a multi story apartment block on the foreshore and docks of Fremantle, (Near Perth). But all his books are pure creative joy.

BluesKing777.

Funny, we were talking about dryness and humiduty and Terry reckons Adelaides actally got one of the best climates for all year round guitar maintanence. And regarding the drive, I did it in 8 hours, walk in the part mate.

As Molly would say it, do yourself a favour mate .... !

And it was 8 hours of pure joy?

BluesKing777.

We listened to Triple M when we could and sang along to Gillian Welch and Davo for an hour or so - who are touging Oz in a few weeks - you be a mug not to go.

Tickets still available for the Adelaide show Feb 3rd... Now theres an incentive, Gillian and Twangers in one day, all washed down with a refreshing Coopers Pale Ale.

But if you want some strange Western Australia reading to remind you of your time there, Tim Winton novels are just a must. In particular, his 'Eyrie' comes to mind, where he was a 'big deal' but flips a lid and holes up in an old, run down flat in a multi story apartment block on the foreshore and docks of Fremantle, (Near Perth). But all his books are pure creative joy.

BluesKing777.

I was using "Perth" generically as a geographical reference. I was actually working in Fremantle. And yes, it was as hot as Adelaide. Maybe hotter.

I was using "Perth" generically as a geographical reference. I was actually working in Fremantle. And yes, it was as hot as Adelaide. Maybe hotter.

And similar great beaches that the same gigantic sharks swim up and down waiting for that person that just can't stand the heat anymore and puts their toes in..... I think the Noahs travel back and forward, back and forward from the coast here in the morning, across for lunch in Adelaide and dinner in Perth. Years ago I went on a day trip to a seal colony and the captain said he often saw the same White Pointer hanging around his boat and the seals - he said it was 27 feet. That's what he said.

Now back on the guitars at Twankers...... I just perused the whole web site and if they have all those, I could never decide on just one, even if I won Lotto 10 million tomorrow night....Would we back the Semi Trailer up or just plain buy the shop?

Just don't see those type of vintage guitars here, for some reason.

BluesKing777.

Twankers ? Youre banned.

And similar great beaches that the same gigantic sharks swim up and down waiting for that person that just can't stand the heat anymore and puts their toes in..... I think the Noahs travel back and forward, back and forward from the coast here in the morning, across for lunch in Adelaide and dinner in Perth. Years ago I went on a day trip to a seal colony and the captain said he often saw the same White Pointer hanging around his boat and the seals - he said it was 27 feet. That's what he said.

Now back on the guitars at Twankers...... I just perused the whole web site and if they have all those, I could never decide on just one, even if I won Lotto 10 million tomorrow night....Would we back the Semi Trailer up or just plain buy the shop?

Just don't see those type of vintage guitars here, for some reason.

BluesKing777.

Twankers ? Youre banned.

Oops, must have been the Spell Checker........ [smile]

Can you believe I stayed in a hotel the next street over once? I didn't know the shop was there and sat around bored out of my brain in the hotel room waiting for the Princess and my sister to come back from...yep...shoe shopping. :angry:

I then went to the miserable Allans, which is now a Gallins Allans HA Ha.... [laugh] and another shop with a total of 2 guitars and 4 pianos!

Probably for the best......those old Gibsons are cranky old things...... [smile]

BluesKing777.

Now you're just getting greedy!

But sense a fever setting in, and we know there's only one cure for the dreaded GAS!!!

Trade in the House! [biggrin]

Truck delivery = 3 x SJ, 1x Bird, 3 x vintage D18, 1 x vintage D28, 1 x D45V, 1 x vintage D45!!!!, and that little fingerpickin' dream 0-45....., :mellow:

BluesKing777.

I know when I hear BK777 is on a road trip with the hound I usually lock my 1951 LG-2 in a cupboard.

Similar to the truffle sniffing piggies of France, he has a Gibson sniffing puppy.

I really should have trained the Hound to truffle hunt - he can sniff a treat from a mile. And his whole nose fits in a Gibson soundhole. When walking our track, he can do the whole walk with his head down like a Hoover sniffing for dog evidence.

Anyway, the boy is very, very quiet today after having some teeth taken out by the vet yesterday...

BluesKing777.

Please forward my sincere condolences to The Hound. (And best wishes for a speedy recovery.)

toothache.JPG

Great pic, FMA!

A couple of sad days for the Hound but getting better by the day. Not like humans where our teeth get yanked...yikes.....dog teeth need to be cut out.....double triple yikes.

BluesKing777.

Archived