Gibson Brands Forums

Tribute Plus vs. LP Standard

Black Dog

Sounds crazy, I know. On paper, the Tribute is the better guitar. It has all Gibson electronics. However, I actually own a Tribute plus, a Plus Top Pro and a Black Beauty. To my ear, I can't really hear a difference between them. As for finish, hardware, play-ability, etc, they are all great.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm a Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin nut. May sound silly, but since I have a honey burst PTP and a black beauty with a Bigsby, I thought it would be cool to have a Gold Top since JP uses all three of those (my Tribute is vintage sunburst).

So, I'm thinking of getting rid of the Tribute and replacing with a Gold Top.

Ridiculous or not?

Besides two Gibson Custom and three Gibson USA Les Paul guitars, my only Epiphone Les Paul is a Faded Cherry Burst 1960 Tribute Plus.

The Epiphone Tribute LP is hard to beat for flexibility. I love the series/parallel options, in particular for clean sounds. She is my #2 LP second to my Gibson USA Killer Quilt limited run Les Paul featuring a Coração de Negro fretboard that gives her an incredible sound.

If one of my LPs had to go, it would be the 17-hole weight-relieved Gibson Custom LP.

You got to go with what feels right to you. I own a Tribute Plus (Faded Cherry Burst) and she is flawless and superb! She is one of my crown jewels (okay, I’m gushing now [tongue] ). That said…

I would recommend you keep your Tribute Plus and remain patient while you save up for a Gold Top. The Gold Tops will always be around, so no rush to “get one before they’re all gone!” If you read through several posts on this board, one common thread you will find is how many people regret letting go of really great guitars they’ve owned in the past. If you don’t have to sell her, DON’T! [-X

If money is the issue, there are music suppliers online that offer “play as you pay” options, like zZounds and American Musical Supply. Check out these options first before selling your Tribute Plus.

Funny that you should have posted that. Yesterday I was playing both my PTP and the Tribute. The reason I was thinking of getting rid of the Trib was not for money or space or because I didn't like it. it was just because I did really think it was very different or better than my PTP. After Playing both yesterday, I still don't think it is much/any better than the PTP, BUT, it is just too nice of a guitar to let go. So, I'm just gonna keep it and get a Gold Top when I can't stand not having one anymore. [smile]

If you're truly a Page/Zep nut, you should be looking at Telecasters instead of another LP. While Page used Les Pauls on stage, many of the classic Zeppelin tracks were recorded with a Telecaster --- including ALL of the first album and the solo on "Stairway to Heaven."

If you're truly a Page/Zep nut, you should be looking at Telecasters instead of another LP. While Page used Les Pauls on stage, many of the classic Zeppelin tracks were recorded with a Telecaster --- including ALL of the first album and the solo on "Stairway to Heaven."

Excellent point! [thumbup]

He recorded with Telecasters, as well as a Daneletro DC, not to mention lower watt amps.

On a budget? I hear the Squire "Classic Vibe" series makes pretty good Telecasters...if you can deal with the stigma that comes attached with the Squire logo. But, if you own Epiphones, you should be pretty used to "cork sniffin'" guitar snobs by now. [flapper]

One brief note in defense of the Tribute Plus model (as a loving owner, I am a tad biased, I’ll admit [blush] ). Though you may not hear or feel any major difference between the Les Pauls you currently own, the Tribute Plus does have the “deep set” neck joint, which to me is a major plus in her design.

Archived