Gibson Brands Forums

2015 under saddle pickup

jvi

hey all if I were to pull the bridge saddle would the pick up element thread thru the wire hole so I could leave it inside the guitar ? the only time I actually use it is tuning which isnt really important, any photos of the under saddle area around? cheers Jim ps Im asking cause I prefer to restring one at a time fwiw 2015 j 45 standard

yes the element part that sits under the saddle, Im thinking of just putting the element inside the guitar without unhooking it completely if it feeds thru the holes for the wire ( perhaps lowering slightly the action)

Ah , no , I don't think it will.

I fitted a k&k pickup and I cut the wire inside the guitar , there's no way the little strip will feed through the hole from under the saddle to inside the guitar. But that was a Martin guitar , I'm assuming it's the same situation. ..,,,,

Well , someone here may speak up and tell me I'm wrong , wouldn't be the first time , so don't do anything until someone else agrees / disagrees with me.

I'd be amazed if the pickup could go through the hole that's drilled below the saddle.

If I'm understanding you right

But ,if you're not using it , it's doing no harm being there. And once it's removed you will need a new saddle to compensate for the height difference once it's out of there

As Aliasphobe said, if it's the Baggs Element (VTC?) You can rip all of that stuff out of there. L.R. Baggs site says there transducer thickness is only two thousandths of an inch thick. No perceptible change in the sound on this guitar, apart from feeling better that the guitar is pure acoustic again.

One question, though: how does this fit in with your preference to change only one string at a time?

thanks for the replies, first the one string at a time is just cause I didnt want to take them all off to look, its easier for me to tune that way by ear, and the thought behind this querry was- I could use just a hair lower string height, and thought that possibly by removing the under saddle i would come down about 1 64th of an inch without installing a new lower saddle, which I would prefer to lowering the stock one, also thinking that the saddle on bare wood would be better than sitting on a the wire. just pondering....Jim ps-I cant see myself using this pickup-- again thanks for all input

thanks for the replies, first the one string at a time is just cause I didnt want to take them all off to look, its easier for me to tune that way by ear, and the thought behind this querry was- I could use just a hair lower string height, and thought that possibly by removing the under saddle i would come down about 1 64th of an inch without installing a new lower saddle, which I would prefer to lowering the stock one, also thinking that the saddle on bare wood would be better than sitting on a the wire. just pondering....Jim ps-I cant see myself using this pickup-- again thanks for all input

There you go, pull the whole damn mess out! Just like 62burst showed. It should look just like that when all of the offending pieces are out. It sounds like you need a tuner, let me know where you are I'll send you one, n.s.

Edit: don't forget the to yank the battery bag (up on the neck block),remove a couple small p-head screws and a gentle tug should do it.

Archived