Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Serial Number Error

PlaidRadish

I'm new to these forums, so if I'm breaking rules or failing to do this correctly, please go easy on me.

I have an Epiphone Sheraton II that I purchased in the mid-90's (probably late 1995, but somewhere between late 1994 and early 1996) from Jackson's Music Store in Atlanta. The serial number is on a white label on the peak of the back of the headstock with a MADE IN KOREA sticker at the lower portion of the headstock. There is no label inside the body of the guitar. The serial number is S9109274, telling me it is a Samick factory model, assembled in October, 1999. However, that is not possible, as I moved away from Atlanta in January of 1997.

My question: Are there anomalies in the serial numbering patterns that anyone at Gibson is aware of? How else could my serial number be interpreted?

BTW, I worked for Jackson's Music at the time I purchased this guitar, and that particular model had been on the floor for at least 2 years, possibly three. If I bought the guitar in 1994, and it had been there for over two years, it's possible it was manufactured in 1991, which could mean this serial number sticker, beginning with "91" is actually a reference to a 1991 build date. Thoughts?

Hi Plaid,

If you're getting your information from the guitar dater project online, then it's more likely that it's in error rather than the serial number on your guitar.

It's been wrong with a few of mine, and several other users here have found it to be inaccurate several times.

Hi Plaid,

If you're getting your information from the guitar dater project online, then it's more likely that it's in error rather than the serial number on your guitar.

It's been wrong with a few of mine, and several other users here have found it to be inaccurate several times.

Yep. Agree completely.

Yep. Agree completely.

For sure given the number of Gibsons it shows as being made on a Sunday. Then it could be that as Gibsons are held in high regard He decided to roll up His sleeves and give a helping hand. Got nothing better to do on His day off.

Samick used the first two digits of the serial number for the year back then. Your guitar was made in 1991, September (09), production number 274. It probably sat unsold in a warehouse or store (or both) until you got it in the mid-90's.

Thanks, everyone! That is good information to have for my "baby."

It is a phenomenal guitar, particularly after a professional fret-job Grover Imperials, a Switchcraft wiring harness, and Gretsch Filtertrons ... I got ambitious.

But, it works and plays like a dream. Wouldn't sell it now even if the world was ending. ;-)

Archived