Gibson Brands Forums

Worried Sick! about shipping my Hummingbird to Gibson

allanj

#-o I just shipped my Hummingbird Custom Shop to Gibson for repairs using FEDEX ground. The person at the counter first said 3 days so I agreed. Then when I checked online it came out to be a week! Keeping my fingers crossed. Everytime I go to bed I think about how it's doing...Will it be able to stand the cold? Is Fedex rough with the box? I packed it well and insured it. I'll just have to wait till Thursday...

By the way, it will need a new neck and nut according to two techs. Any inputs of the time it will take Gibson to repair it? Thanks in advanced.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure it will make it just fine. I'm assuming you shipped it to Bozeman? If I were you I think I'd call them after you confirm through your tracking information that it arrived, just to make sure. They can then give you an estimate as to how long the repair will take. It won't be quick, though. I'm guessing it will take several months.

Thanks for the quick reply, It is a Custom Shop with quilted Maple back, I could not let go of the deal , they were selling it for a fraction of the cost because they knew it had some buzzing problems. I let the tech at the store check it and said it needed a new nut, then another tech said it had a twisted neck so they gave me another 100 off for that! Then one store owner said that sometimes wood has a memory on itself and likes to come back to its original shape. Accorind to Gibson it retails for $4300! I can't wait to get it back. The guitar sounded warm and laid back and not as forward sounding as my D-15 but the action was very high on the lower frets and low on the upper frets, wierd huh?

When I sent my J-45 Deluxe to Gibson repair in Nashville for fret job and Neck reset it took about 6 months. It came home perfect.

My experience has been that, when dealing with Bozeman, the turnaround was significantly less than what you had with Nashville.

Ymmv,

Fred

Thanks for all the replies, I do need patience. I just hope it does not take six months, its the D and G strings that has a buzz and the neck looked wierd according to a two techs. Plus the action was way too high in the lower frets and way too low in in the upper frets and the bridge rattles. The finish is flawless but the setup was horrible, worst than the inexpensive guitars in the store. Should have not left the Factory like that, I'll leave it to Gibson now...

Archived