Gibson Brands Forums

Question to expert

brums

Hi all,

I've bought a j45 MC Mahogany in the 2007 and after about one year

I noticed that frets under B string, just were consumed, only under B string.

Soon I must make a partial refret (first 3-4 frets), but first I would

understand why that frets were consumed so early.......

only under B string

Someone can help me ?

thanks

It happened to me on a Larrivee D-3 ' date=' just under the B string, I left it alone. Didn't cause any problems. [/quote']

A worned fret makes some bad effects.... bad intonation....bad sound in open string.......buzz...

It is possible that your guitar was made with a bad run of fret wire, but more likely that some of your playing conditions cause the problem.

If you do a lot of bending, you can wear frets rather quickly. If you use a capo that is very tight, you can cause damage - especially under the B string. If you squeeze your chords very tightly with strong hands, you can also cause premature wear.

Fret replacements are a simple repair in the hands of a qualified technician. Yours is probably an easy fix.

I assume you mean worn? Right? (consumed) after a year??

you must play the hell out of that "B" string???

I have never heard of that after a year? suburude

"I've bought a j45 MC Mahogany in the 2007 and after about one year

I noticed that frets under B string, just were consumed, only under B string."

The B string seems to wear most on every guitar I look at.

It is often fingered with your index finger- the strongest, hardest fretting finger.

It is not wound- and the narrower a string is the better chance it has of digging into the fret as the wider/fatter strings spread the fretting pressure over a larger area.

You would think the high E would wear even more but I think it gets less pressure put on it.

those are my theories.

Well, I use a capo occasionally,

I like bend but make it on the 3th+ usually,

rather I noticed that when I bought guitar,

she had a B string nut position very very higher than normal,

and that needs a more force to ftret B string perhaps,

I had a filler nut and make it myself..........

or fret wire quality ??

I concur with jgwoods assessment above.

Soft fret wire can certainly cause this - but its more likely all the hammering on with your index finger playing all those 1st position chords. I have a friend who wore out his 2007 LP Custom frets in a similar manner. Watching him play, he was using a very hard touch. Its very typical wear -Most used Acoustic guitars suffer this problem - but using less torque with your index finger helps prolong fret life. Its only necessary to use enough finger force so the string hits the top of the fret.

Yet I know a few guitarists who think they must press the strings down with enough force until it touches the rosewood/ebony fretboard - wrong!

I grew up playing cheap guitars with high action. I developed a death grip on my fretting hand. I mostly play chords in the 1st position and I wear "v" notches under the E and B strings on the first 3-4 frets. But, it usually takes me about 3 years to do it. Then again, I don't play as often as most of the guys here do. So, I would say it's your playing style. Have you owned other guitars that lasted longer?

Archived