Gibson Brands Forums

Books on Gibson guitars

kelly campbell

I recently ordered two books about Gibson guitars one is "Gibson's Fabulous flattops" the other is" Gibson Guitars: 100 years of an American Icon" Has anyone read these at any point and if so what is your opinion and also recommend any others such as "The Kalamazoo Girls" I thought about reading it. Thanks

I have this one: Gibson Guitars: 100 years of an American Icon

how I got it was interesting.

I had ordered an Elitist Chet Atkins, which took quite a lot of time to come in (5+ months). After a few calls to Customer Support over the span of a few months, Henry got involved, emailed me apologized for the delays saying the guitar was soon to arrive, and once the paper work as done and all the details were settled the planned to shipped directly to my house from Tennessee, instead of the dealer (in Kansas, I'm in Mass) So that all happened and the guitar was gorgeous,

I emailed Henry back when it arrived to confirm all was well, and thanked him for his efforts, I figured that was the end of it.

Then a few weeks later, this book comes in the mail with a note from Henry thanking me for the loyalty, and being patient while the order was fulfilled.

there is another book you might like, The Gibson Les Paul Book By Tony Bacon and Paul Day.

btw,, this is the guitar in question:

Chet1.jpg

I have this one: Gibson Guitars: 100 years of an American Icon

how I got it was interesting.

I had ordered an Elitist Chet Atkins, which took quite a lot of time to come in (5+ months). After a few calls to Customer Support over the span of a few months, Henry got involved, emailed me apologized for the delays saying the guitar was soon to arrive, and once the paper work as done and all the details were settled the planned to shipped directly to my house from Tennessee, instead of the dealer (in Kansas, I'm in Mass) So that all happened and the guitar was gorgeous,

I emailed Henry back when it arrived to confirm all was well, and thanked him for his efforts, I figured that was the end of it.

Then a few weeks later, this book comes in the mail with a note from Henry thanking me for the loyalty, and being patient while the order was fulfilled.

there is another book you might like, The Gibson Les Paul Book By Tony Bacon and Paul Day.

btw,, this is the guitar in question:

Chet1.jpg

Sweet Guitar I love the Chet models...thanks

I have both, but haven't started the 100 years one yet. The flattops one is superb IMO. Absolutely worth reading and very in depth on specs, features and history of each model.

I got addicted to reading all books on Gibson. The all round best one for electrics is Gibson Electrics: The Classic Years by A. R. Duchossoir and get the complete version not Vol.1. Has lots of great info on archtops where some of the others mainly focus on solidbodies. Droolworthy pictures of L5's, ES-5's, Tal Farlows, 175's etc.

Also great are:

The SG and any of the Les Paul Books by Tony Bacon,

Early & Modern era of the Les Paul Legacy by Robb Lawrence

Gibson Super 400: art of the Fine Guitar by Van Hoose

ES-175 book by Adrian Ingram is not great, but has some points of interest and nice pictures.

Haven't read/ don't have a copy of Kalamazoo Girls. I think the author has posted some stuff in the acoustic section of the forum in the past!

I have both, but haven't started the 100 years one yet. The flattops one is superb IMO. Absolutely worth reading and very in depth on specs, features and history of each model.

I got addicted to reading all books on Gibson. The all round best one for electrics is Gibson Electrics: The Classic Years by A. R. Duchossoir and get the complete version not Vol.1. Has lots of great info on archtops where some of the others mainly focus on solidbodies. Droolworthy pictures of L5's, ES-5's, Tal Farlows, 175's etc.

Also great are:

The SG and any of the Les Paul Books by Tony Bacon,

Early & Modern era of the Les Paul Legacy by Robb Lawrence

Gibson Super 400: art of the Fine Guitar by Van Hoose

ES-175 book by Adrian Ingram is not great, but has some points of interest and nice pictures.

Haven't read/ don't have a copy of Kalamazoo Girls. I think the author has posted some stuff in the acoustic section of the forum in the past!

Thanks for the info...I am still learning guitar and love the Gibson brand and Guitars. for some reason lately I have this unquenchable desire for everything Gibson. The biggest desire of course is for more Gibson guitars, I have three of the acoustic models and I have others from other manufacturers that I like but even when I pull out one of my favorite Martins, I end up going and getting out one of the Gibsons...anyway I decided I wanted to learn more of the history of the models etc. Thanks

Archived