Gibson Brands Forums

Samick Les Paul

Old Grey

Silly question but here goes...I have a Epiphone Les Paul that my son got in a pawn shop. Based on the serial number it was manufactured in 1993 by Samick in Korea. The neck has been broken just below the headstock and repaired. The guitar has a chrome plate just below the neck pocket. Does this mean it is a bolt on neck?

Silly question but here goes...I have a Epiphone Les Paul that my son got in a pawn shop. Based on the serial number it was manufactured in 1993 by Samick in Korea. The neck has been broken just below the headstock and repaired. The guitar has a chrome plate just below the neck pocket. Does this mean it is a bolt on neck?

I would think so.

$ 200.00 Any ideas where I can get a replacement neck?

eBay if you want an old Samick neck that resembles the original right out the chute.

Warmoth if you want to work on it and paint it and make it unique.

(AND if you want to spend more on it than the entire guitar is worth.)

I'd go with eBay, personally.

:mellow:

IMO I think you paid too much for the guitar.

To spend more money on a new neck would not be something I would even consider.

But it's your guitar.

Also, you say there was a headstock/neck repair. However you do not say there is anything wrong with the neck. Is there something wrong with it?

I ask because I have a Dot that has had a headstock repair (and I paid $200 for it) and it is one of the best guitars I own. The neck is fine.

But it's your guitar.

Also, you say there was a headstock/neck repair. However you do not say there is anything wrong with the neck. Is there something wrong with it?

I ask because I have a Dot that has had a headstock repair (and I paid $200 for it) and it is one of the best guitars I own. The neck is fine.

200 bucks would have been overpaying if the neck weren't broken. Sorry dude. If you can return it, do so.

But it's your guitar.

The reason I'm asking is I had a 74 Gibson SG that had the neck broken and repaired and it broke in the same place after the repair. So, my son and I are thinking about making this guitar a project guitar.

The reason I'm asking is I had a 74 Gibson SG that had the neck broken and repaired and it broke in the same place after the repair. So, my son and I are thinking about making this guitar a project guitar.

Apparently whoever did the repair did not do it properly. If they had, it never would have broken again in the same spot. In fact, in should have been stronger than before the break.

"Project guitars" usually start out as very cheap or free acquisitions. This way you can afford to spend money to fix it up. Doesn't make sense to start out with something you overpaid for, and then pay even more. By the time you are done, you will be spending a lot of cash. And then you will still have a low-budget bolt-on Epi. Or an expensive project guitar. You would be much better off spending money on a new or used set neck LP in my opinion. Or start out with a much cheaper guitar for your project so you have some money to spend. But if money is no object, then hey, go for it. I'm just not sure you are going to be that happy with the end result.

But then................................................................................................I could be wrong! :) :rolleyes:

Thanks to all for the input. I will reconsider working on that guitar

It is all to do with the shape or rather the angle of the neck which makes them fragile and prone to breaking, the older the guitar imho the more chance it will have had a neck repair.. How does the guitar play, if you are happy with it and the repair isn't causing any problems, then I would say, save your money that you would spend on the cost of a new neck and go fishing or buy yourself a beer....

BTW, and this is only my opinion but I think bolt on's are better than fixed...

Archived