Gibson Brands Forums

Proof that my "Epiphone" Les Paul can sound as great as a gibson!!

spaterman

Great playing Kiwi! However' date=' I think the skilled player + Dimarzio Tone Zone make it hard to compare the Epi LP to the Gibby LP. But whatever the case, you + pickups + Epi LP + whatever settings and effects you used = Awesome sound. [img']http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/boyd3495/NoddingSmiley.gif[/img]

I watched the video of you playing Panama on youtube. I know that was a stage performance (in front of 800 people smiley_headbang.gif) in a hall, but was that with your original Epiphone pups? The tone sounded very much darker and passive. Not bad, just different.

SilverLesterStd

Yea that was actually a seymour duncan sh-11 i was using there. I actually liked that better, a bit brighter... but lots of people like the tonezone better. But yea I enjoyed that! Lol I need to find a band or something, I had my first day back to school today, and it was terrible, I just about fell asleep in physics class HAHA!! i wanna leave school and be a musician of some sort (rockstar preferably lol!)...

Yea that was actually a seymour duncan sh-11 i was using there. I actually liked that better' date=' a bit brighter... but lots of people like the tonezone better. But yea I enjoyed that! Lol I need to find a band or something, I had my first day back to school today, and it was terrible, I just about fell asleep in physics class HAHA!! i wanna leave school and be a musician of some sort (rockstar preferably lol!)...[/quote']

I feel ya there. I am in a band but what I really want to do is be in a 2 person band and make some very nice solo/duet rock/metal stuff. I have a friend interested and it would be so fun to do this... Good luck on the Musician, you are very talented.

Great one. In my opinion, while Epiphones may sound as good as Gibsons with the PUs swapped, Gibson is still undeniably better. I have an Epi SG with Gibson electronics, but my Gibson Les Paul beats it hands down. The tone is similar, but the Les Paul has a better neck, way better resonance / sustain, better pots, better intonation, better frets, better tuning keys...

...Epiphones are great guitars, don't get me wrong. There's nothing "wrong" with them, per se. But Gibsons still kick their ***.

Yea that was actually a seymour duncan sh-11 i was using there. I actually liked that better' date=' a bit brighter... but lots of people like the tonezone better. But yea I enjoyed that! Lol I need to find a band or something, I had my first day back to school today, and it was terrible, I just about fell asleep in physics class HAHA!! i wanna leave school and be a musician of some sort (rockstar preferably lol!)...[/quote']

Sh-11 eh? It sounded good. You are the best judge since you have to please yourself and you have heard both the Tonezone and the sh-11 through the same setup. I would guess that the sh-11 would do a better job on 60s & 70s rock. The Dimarzio probably does a better job on all forms of metal.

BTW, you DO need to find a band (not "or something"). You have a talent for guitar. A band will make you stretch your talent. At least try to line up something where you wouldn't have to travel too far from campus on a night or two per week. At least try to actively seek out a drummer & bass player. At the least, it would be good to bring in more cash for an aspiring student.

SilverLesterStd

Sh-11 eh? It sounded good. You are the best judge since you have to please yourself and you have heard both the Tonezone and the sh-11 through the same setup. I would guess that the sh-11 would do a better job on 60s & 70s rock. The Dimarzio probably does a better job on all forms of metal.

BTW' date=' you DO need to find a band (not "or something"). You have a talent for guitar. A band will make you stretch your talent. At least try to line up something where you wouldn't have to travel too far from campus on a night or two per week. At least try to actively seek out a drummer & bass player. At the least, it would be good to bring in more cash for an aspiring student.

SilverLesterStd[/quote']

Yea well the big problem - I live in the country, in new zealand. And the school I go to, no real motivation there, no one very good at bass or drums particularly. Im looking for a bassist a drummer and possibly a singer (I can sing myself a little bit I suppose), and yea, I need some cash for new mics so I can record my drums, and I can put some originals on youtube.

Forgetting the vs debate the playing was absolutely knock out!

Your tone is class and your vibrato I thought was really tastefully used. When people use it on every note that moves it has no dramatic effect. You used it so musically.

If you don't mind I would like to start a thread on Ultimaterhoads (loads of Zakk fans there too) with a link.

Matt

Forgetting the vs debate the playing was absolutely knock out!

Your tone is class and your vibrato I thought was really tastefully used. When people use it on every note that moves it has no dramatic effect. You used it so musically.

If you don't mind I would like to start a thread on Ultimaterhoads (loads of Zakk fans there too) with a link.

Matt

Thanks man! Yea sure start a forum! I'd be honered heh!

Archived