Gibson Brands Forums

Proof that my "Epiphone" Les Paul can sound as great as a gibson!!

spaterman

Hi,

I'm soo happy with my epiphone les paul! I did put new pickups in there (dimarzio tonezone and air norton). IMO it sounds as good as zakk Wyldes tone.

But here, check out the sound (it's recorded with an sm57 through my peavey triumph). But sorry about the youtube compression it really does suck the true tone out of it!

HAHA! I was talking funny, coz I'm from New Zealand, that's how we talk over here!! LMAO!

But dnt worry, I'll make sure I talk even funnier in my next video haha!!!

And thanks!

Yep I got some originals! (not with words yet) I'll make some youtube video's of them soon. Not meaning to brag, but, theyr nothing like most of the music these days!!

Nice playing' date=' man. Does it sound like a Gibson? Hard to say with the overdrive going but it's a good tone whether it does or not.

[/quote']

yep, lol, you could maybe get this tone with most guitars if you put software reverb/compression on there (like I did). I got a new vid up there if you wanna see it

well... (thanks anyway!!)

But really' date=' my friend has a gibson les paul and I like mine over his!

[/quote']

Any idea how many Epi owners we get on here making this statement? Then they usually get an LP Studio and rave how much better it is than their old Epi.

Great playing Kiwi! However, I think the skilled player + Dimarzio Tone Zone make it hard to compare the Epi LP to the Gibby LP. But whatever the case, you + pickups + Epi LP + whatever settings and effects you used = Awesome sound. NoddingSmiley.gif

I watched the video of you playing Panama on youtube. I know that was a stage performance (in front of 800 people smiley_headbang.gif) in a hall, but was that with your original Epiphone pups? The tone sounded very much darker and passive. Not bad, just different.

SilverLesterStd

I think some Epi's may sound as good as a Gibby; usually they are in the forum of their Elitist series (being a stock guitar that is).

As for a regular Epi, you can swap out some electronics and make a great sounding guitar, but what you don't get is the feel of a Gibby. It's the little things that make the difference, like how the frets are trimmed and finished, the feel of the neck as it joins the body; you know, the little things.

But you can make an epi sound good. I like DiMarzio - I have 2 in my Gibson Les Paul - Virtual Hot Paf in the neck and a Air Classic neck.

Great playing and great tone indeed. I used to have an Epi and the stock pickups sucked. Changing pickups in this case makes a huge difference.

To me the Epis neck never felt good enough, but that's just me.

Again, great playing.

It looks like changing the pickups on an Epi puts you from being behind the 8 ball to....aaah never mind, I don't have the brain power to make jokes right now....

Archived