Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons and rattlesnakes

peiplayer

Many mandolin players used to put driied rattlesnake rattles in their mandolins. The lore being that it would discourage any spiders from crawling inside. Supposedly Black Widow spiders found the interior chamber of Gibson F5 mandolins very appealing. Of course you wouldn't want to be chopping on a mandolin and have the Black Widow come out of the F-hole very irritated and bite one of your fingers or knuckles.... Now you know.

Many mandolin players used to put driied rattlesnake rattles in their mandolins. The lore being that it would discourage any spiders from crawling inside. Supposedly Black Widow spiders found the interior chamber of Gibson F5 mandolins very appealing. Of course you wouldn't want to be chopping on a mandolin and have the Black Widow come out of the F-hole very irritated and bite one of your fingers or knuckles.... Now you know.

Another good reason to not play mandolin!

It's Tradition to put a rattlesnake rattle in your fiddle. There's two lines of thinking for doing this-

The Pragmatic reasoning is the rattle keeps spiders and mice from making your fiddle their home. Many old timers kept their fiddles hanging on a wall in a cabin or barn, and it's easy to imagine that unwanted residents would make their claim.

The Superstitious reasoning is that fiddle music - and all that was associated with it- was morally wrong. Playing for dances let the devil into your life and the rattlesnake rattle kept you safe- sort of. (The other line of thinking here was that only the devil himself could play the thing right, so the rattlesnake rattle was used for inspiration.)

In any event, it became tradition to have a snake rattle in your fiddle. I would never have one in my guitar.

It's said to provide good luck for your Gibson...but only if you killed the rattler yourself...First I heard of this novelty was back in 1968...when a Texan with a 45 sang for his dinner....he was on the road to Florida for the winter. Had a thousand songs in his head...

My '56 SJ came complete with a rattlesnake tail inside it. While I assume it was to keep the mice out I spent alot of years living in the southwest corner of Mississiippi and learned not to mess with such things where Mojo or Old Scratch might be involved. So there it remains to this day.

I know mandolin and fiddle players used to place rattler tails in their instruments. Some say it was for good luck others because they liked the sound - maybe it was an early form of distortion.

Archived