Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage J-45 vs Vintage Hummingbird

Gibson Artist

I don't care if he is president and CEO of Gibson itself, it doesn't change a thing I said.

OK mate, Im on your side but chill out a bit. Nick did reflect and appologise, which takes quite a bit of honor, so give him some rope.

If I was absolutely forced to pick one of those two guitars, I'd probably go with "the bird." Simply because I like the tone a bit better. Maybe because it's a bit louder than the J45. Anyone in their right mind could easily live with either of these guitars, but in my mind "the bird" has an edge. Of course, one would also have to play both to actually know. Neither of these guitars is "better" than the other.....Both are mahogany guitars, but very different. The J45 is supposed to be dry and woody sounding. It has that somber and almost subtle tone. Much of its legend is built on that. The Hummingbird in it's own way can also be somber and subtle, but it's also the proverbial "sheep in wolf's clothing." It's a full-blooded R&R monster if you need one. Depends on what you like.........BTW---taking my J45TV to my winery gig in a couple hours. Took my Hummingbird last time, so this time they get to see and hear another "real guitar."

Archived