Gibson Brands Forums

Devon Allman

saturn

Anyone familiar with Gregg's son, Devon?

I had heard of him, but didn't ( and still don't ) know much other than his name. I saw that he'll be at The Ram's Head in Annapolis and tickets were only $22. So my buddy and I are going to check it out. We have seats front and center, so I have to think demand wasn't real high. I've read some good stuff about him, but I've resisted the temptation to look up and listen to any of his music. I want to hear everything he plays for the first time.

I think I'll enjoy the show, and at the very least I'll have a few craft beers and some good food. B)

Heard him at a Blues Festival last May. He was great... very good guitarist. He wasn't close to his dad growing up, so he wasn't able to learn music in that way. He did a couple of ABB tunes, but most of his stuff was different. Nice guy. I had a chance to talk to him for a while in the autograph tent. Very appreciative of what life has given him.

Heard him on Pandora's Blues format a couple of days ago when a tune popped up.

Well. Getting ready to go see the show at Ram's Head. It's a matinee. Kind of a crappy weather day in Annapolis but it should be nice inside.

Here's the venue. There are a lot of other good acts scheduled this summer including Robin Trower, Martin Barre, Johnny Lang, America....

I'm so close I should be able to get some good photos or footage if they allow it.

I am thoroughly impressed! This guy is the real deal. I honestly wasn't expecting much more than I would see with some local bar band. But Devon and his band are top notch.

That guy on the Strat (Bobby something) is incredible. Devon mainly played his LP and it had an autograph which if I read it correctly said "To Devon. Keep on rockin. Love Dad". Plus they had a guy named Linwood Taylor get up and jam a few tunes on Bobby's Strat. He's a DC based blues guy. I saw Linwood several times back in 1989 or 90 at The Eight By Ten Club in Baltimore. If I remember right, he opened for Lonnie Mac when I saw him at The 8x10. :-k

Most of the songs they played were his originals, and even though I wasn't familiar, I enjoyed them all. He did a few covers including No Woman No Cry, Forever Man and One Way Out as an encore. That was after pretending they were doing Sweet Home Alabama and Stairway To Heaven. [biggrin]

Here was my view of the stage from our seat.

Devon%20Allman%20Band%2021_zps0kegjgdd.jpg

Devon%20Allman%20Band%208_zpsgymksqwa.jpg

Devon%20Allman%20and%20Linwood%20Taylor_zps1rztp2ob.jpg

Stupid double post! [cursing]

Oh well. I'll post another pic. You probably can't see it in this photo, but his Strat doesn't say Fender on the headstock. It says F@CKER [biggrin]

Devon%20Allman%20Band%2018_zpsbuskhjku.jpg

I really can't describe how good this kid played that Strat!

Archived