Gibson Brands Forums

How's the difference between AJ and SJ ?

jimmyboy

Same body shape. Different scale length (24.75" for SJ, 25.5" for AJ). Different B/S body woods (mahogany for SJ, rosewood for AJ). Bracing and neck profile may vary by models within each type, although all AJ's may have the same bracing.

It's an imperfect analogy, but think of it along the lines of the differences between the D-18 and D-28 (although those both have the same scale length).

Same body shape. Different scale length (24.75" for SJ, 25.5" for AJ). Different B/S body woods (mahogany for SJ, rosewood for AJ). Bracing and neck profile may vary by models within each type, although all AJ's may have the same bracing.

It's an imperfect analogy, but think of it along the lines of the differences between the D-18 and D-28 (although those both have the same scale length).

Thank you for your input. As for AJ.Is it share the same bracing with the Songwriter?

I don't want to overexpose this stuff, but I have a blog article that talks about the birth of the SJ as a rosewood guitar as an alternative to the early AJs, and its change over to its standard version with mahogany back and sides.

Link

Best,

-Tom

We cannot forget the Advanced Jumbo is known as the acoustic cannon. Rather bombastic, but the guitar IS loud and somewhat rough. The one I had anyway.

I bought an AJ and a J-45 Std. at the same time to set up an A/B. The latter - basically an un-blinged SJ - clearly won. Richer facetted and much more of a charmer.

Sold the AJ to a blues-guy, who immediately bonded with the rose-monster. Admit I never missed it a second.

I'd even state it was the real workhorse of the two - a genuine field-plower, , , or should we say artillery-stallion.

Might get in trouble here - take no offence, AJ'ers

We cannot forget the Advanced Jumbo is known as the acoustic cannon. Rather bombastic, but the guitar IS loud and somewhat rough. The one I had anyway.

I bought an AJ and a J-45 Std. at the same time to set up an A/B. The latter - basically an un-blinged SJ - clearly won. Richer facetted and much more of a charmer.

Sold the AJ to a blues-guy, who immediately bonded with the rose-monster. Admit I never missed it a second.

I'd even state it was the real workhorse of the two - a genuine field-plower, , , or should we say artillery-stallion.

This is pretty much right on. The AJ has it's place if you are looking for the boom. The Southern Jumbo more of a classic Gibson slope sound. Also, I think the Songwriter does have the same bracing as the Advanced Jumbo.

Yes, I do know what you mean about the AJ Em7. It can be rough and overpowering and i had a love/ hate relationship with mine. I finally found the love after trying many, many types of strings to smooth out the rough edges and now really enjoying mine. (surprise, surprise it was the Sunbeams)

Archived