Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Content - 2 from Kalamazoo

JO'C

Last month I participated in an IRS Seizure auction in NJ of about 80 guitars and 30 amps. I was really interested in 3 1966 guitars and a 2008 LP Supreme. Remarkably I was the winning bidder on all of them and all went for less than my max bid. I also lost out on quite a few others, mostly high end Taylors and some vintage Guilds. On the amp front I landed a 1968 Fender Bandmaster Reverb head in mint condition, an Orange AD50 Custom Shop head and and Orange 4x12 cab. it's my new stack. I use an A/B footswitch to change between the heads. It's a fantastic setup. I haven't even looked at my other amps since I got it. The big cab pushes out tremendous lows. The only drawback is that it weighs 105lb so it won't be going out to any gigs. Anyhow here they are:

First up is a 1966 ES-335 TD, all original in great shape for a 50 year old guitar. Plays and sounds like a dream. I have a 2008 Larry Carlton 335 that is based on a 1968 and they are very similar.

DSC00602_zps4qgg26qj.jpg

DSC00605_zpsz1jwjoh1.jpg

DSC00603_zpslbm23vrs.jpg

No buckle rash. Neck is smooth and fast with no dings.

DSC00641_zpsuajpuswm.jpg

Very slight finish checking, barely noticeable.

DSC00611_zpsex7qrowh.jpg

Fretboard and inlays are just fine. Plenty of life left in frets.

DSC00610_zpswdgzqpvb.jpg

Next up is a 1966 ES-335 TDC 12 string. This thing is mint. No buckle rash, no dings or major scratches. No fret wear at all but then again, who hammers on a 12 string? Plays and sounds great but it took a little getting used to with all those strings crammed into the 1 9/16" neck width at the nut. Open chords can be a challenge. Further up the neck it widens out and is a lot better. All original except for the mini Schallers. The original Kluson strips came in the case.

DSC00622_zpsdmfdpepl.jpg

DSC00623_zpspf3wvj4u.jpg

DSC00625_zpst5x0zkld.jpg

DSC00630_zps9wry64uy.jpg

OHHH, that brings back pleasant memories! I had a cherry 1966 335-12 string, in 1969! Loved it!

But, traded it in, on a '66 SG Custom, about a year later. I've often wished I'd have just bought

the SG outright, and kept the 335-12! [unsure] But, "C'est La Vie!" [tongue]

Nice guitar, both...Congratulations! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

That's so cool. I was feeling old because the 1966 guitars were 8 years younger than me and now they are considered vintage. I didn't but my first decent electric until '75. 41 years later I get my first 12 string.

Check out my part 2 for the rest of the story. I maxed out on the # of pics allowed.

Archived