Gibson Brands Forums

1945 J45

Joe M

I would not pay near that much for it. Maybe for a 1942 J-50 or 1943/1944 maple body J-45 but not for the one in the listing. About the most I have seen in terms of asking price is in the $7K range.

Agreed! There is a 1946 for sale on UMGF for $5000 that is a bit scuffed up compared to the CL listing and not a banner, but still...$10,000?

If it were in pristine condition, and sounded great, it would be worth that. But it's not. Looks to me like there may be some heat damage on one side of the guitar near the neck. Almost looks like scorching and finish blistering.

Remarkable lack of wear around the soundhole.

If it were in pristine condition, and sounded great, it would be worth that. But it's not. Looks to me like there may be some heat damage on one side of the guitar near the neck. Almost looks like scorching and finish blistering.

Remarkable lack of wear around the soundhole.

I was also wondering about the lack of wear and tear. But even checking and crazing does not always show up well in photos. Making it even tougher is that the color is often also off. It is just impossible to make and kind of an assessment without eyeballing the instrument.

It does seem a bit on the high end. But it may be the sound and tone you may need.You can always wait For one to fall within your budget. You can also pick up a modern Gibson copy of one. My own opinion is that it looks decent from the photos, but so do I. Depends on your desires. I love the real "Banner Gibsons" as well as late '40's thru '50's Gibson J models. My days of affording these died with "cock robin".

Replaced bridge? Looks like a nice repro though.

It actually appears to be in great overall shape.

Price isin't too bad really, maybe a bit high.

For that kind of money you're in the market for a J-35!

Archived