Gibson Brands Forums

The Creamery

Karloff

I gigged the Elite on Saturday as planned with Blown Out, and also today in the Jazz/pop band Vinyl Frontiers.

The pickups sounded great though both the Fender Stage and the Fishman Artist, but I still want to change them. I will probably get the Creamery Dominos but will need to get my luthier to do it (Im useless with circuitry). He has not answered my e-mail so far. That could mean he's busy.

I even wondered if I should put the Dominos into the 339 and transplant the 57 Classics into the Elite? Decisions.....

tough call, I love my '57 classics. and even though i'm happy with the Pearlygates I put in my SG, i'm leaning towards trying the Creamery's '59's in the SG.

I'd say the '57s should stay with the 339, and put the Domino split coils in the Elite - just seems more of a natural combination.

Thanks. I almost certainly will.

The idea only occurred because the 339 had no coil split, whilst the Elite does. The Dominos are essentially just single coil pups.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the Creamery Firebird pickups 2 weeks ago. I've been so busy, plus out of town for almost 5 days i just got around to putting them in. They sound great. Very happy with them. Great tone. And they have a clarity that the stock ceramic pickups did not have. Thank you guys for giving me a thumbs up on the Creamery ... Great pick ups.

• 1 month later...

Ok. I gt my pups (Domino Split Coil) pups a little later than Karloff. I had my luthier fit them (and change the bridge & stoptail etc) and I got the guitar back last week.

I gigged it on Saturday. It didnt sound as Fender-like as I had wished, but the Esprit is not built anything like a Fender anyway so it was always likely that it wouldnt. I had asked Jaimie for alnico 2s. Now I'm wondering what the alnico 5s would've sounded like?

It still sounds single coiled though and is quite superb. It might even be the best sounding guitar I have(?).

I used the neck pickup for 85% of the time and neck+bridge for the remainder. I aim for a well defined 'hollow wood' type sound. It does that with aplomb.

I will gig it again next Friday and with my EQ reconfigured (fine tuned based on Saturdays).

Ok. I gt my pups (Domino Split Coil) pups a little later than Karloff. I had my luthier fit them (and change the bridge & stoptail etc) and I got the guitar back last week.

I had asked Jaimie for alnico 2s. Now I'm wondering what the alnico 5s would've sounded like?

You can pick up replacement magnets from a lot of online retailers. A lot of guys on the Seymour Duncan forum regularly do swaps to create other classic pickup sets from what they already own.

On a separate note, it's also worth mentioning that the creamery received a favourable review from music radar in one of their magazines some years back

You can pick up replacement magnets from a lot of online retailers. A lot of guys on the Seymour Duncan forum regularly do swaps to create other classic pickup sets from what they already own.

Thanks for the tip!

I've just watched a youtube clip of this being done. Its was entirely different from what I expected.

Archived