Gibson Brands Forums

Choosing an amp for my Epiphone Dot

Dm225

Hi I just started playing recently and currently own an Epiphone Dot and some crappy hand me down Fender amp.

Well the next thing I need to upgrade is my amp and I know almost next to nothing about them. I'm looking to spend around $200 on a new one, I know I won't be able to get a very good one for that much but what's the amp that would best suit me if I was interested in playing classic rock and some blues with it?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

For that price you might want to try the Epiphone Valve Junior. Its a great little amp (louder than you'd expect) and you get a nice, simple, class A tube amp for about 150$. Plus, if you're into modding and that kind of stuff, this amp is just begging to be taken apart and improved.

If the crappy hand me down Fender amp is one of those junk Princetons or useless Deluxe's, or maybe one of those Champs that nobody wants, I'll be happy to dispose of it for you.

Seriously if it's an old Fender tube amp take it to a tech for a tuneup and biasing and maybe new tubes and you'll be golden. Tube amps need to be turned up loud to sound right, so if you want bedroom volume practice levels you need a small solid state modeling amp with headphones, or maybe just a headphone amp like a Rockman.

If the crappy hand me down Fender amp is one of those junk Princetons or useless Deluxe's' date=' or maybe one of those Champs that nobody wants, I'll be happy to dispose of it for you.

Seriously if it's an old Fender tube amp take it to a tech for a tuneup and biasing and maybe new tubes and you'll be golden. Tube amps need to be turned up loud to sound right, so if you want bedroom volume practice levels you need a small solid state modeling amp with headphones, or maybe just a headphone amp like a Rockman.[/quote']

+1. I love my crappy old hand me down '71 Champ.

Not much budget there. The Epi is probably your best chice.

Best of luck.

Murph.

As for the "crappy old fender," I'd love to have my old Delux Reverb back. Instead, I traded it for a whompin' big 120-watt tube combo jobbie that ain't much fun trying to haul around for an old guy. But then again, I was playing these things a thousand years ago when you hadda have chipmunks running in a cage to get electricity.

Seriously, I still have that whompin' big amp. It still sounds great. The master volume lets you mess with plenty of tube sounds. I could easily break windows in the house with it. But the old "valve" Fender played in some pretty decent-sized venues and could still hurt ears in the back of the room. Not like the bigger amp, but plenty for an arena-size venue equivalent size to five or six basketball floors with seating on the sides. The boys and girls at the dances still hadda holler into each other's ears to be heard.

That was "classic rock" as played in the 1960s, anyway.

Now? I got an inexpensive little Kustom 35-watter designed for accoustic guitar, and play through a multi-effects box. It cost well under your $200. For what it's worth, playing light jazz it's plenty loud for a 5-600 seat auditorium from the stage without additional amplification - and that's not even cranked up.

Personal advice from an old man? Don't get caught up in the "bigger is better." That little Epi valve ain't bad, especially nowadays when most guys seem to mike their amps through a PA anyway. And believe me, after a certain point in playing for money, it's a lotta work hauling the big stuff that you can't really put to its maximum anyway. My first rock band had an old Gibson valve amp (playing in 1962-3) and it worked fine for the guitar player.

Classic rock? Yeah, the more I think about it, the Epi might be a "best buy." But you've got a nice guitar and should consider how it and the amp "play together" no matter what. Don't forget that in the real "classic rock" era, we weren't playing the stuff that was available just a few years later, nor at the volume.

if you want bedroom volume practice levels you need a small solid state modeling amp with headphones' date=' or maybe just a headphone amp like a Rockman.[/quote']

I hate to see someone waste their money on a SS modeling amp, they are total crap. Get the Epiphone valve junior and you will get good tone at bedroom levels if you need to plus then you've got a good amp for practice/rehearsing or even small gigs. Only thing is you will also need a speaker cab to go with it...maybe a 1x12 can be had for a small price and you've got yourself a decent rig.

The Epiphone Valve Jr. is a very good amp. It's affordable, well built, and well suited to the Dot. It comes in a combo for $199 or less, or as seperate head and speaker cab for about $50 more. It's the kind of amp that helps you take advantage of a semi hollow's characteristics.

Red 333

Archived