Gibson Brands Forums

The new Gibson website - can't find certain products

crikey

When I look at the new products page I can't find what I used to be able to find on the old site. For example the L-200 Emmylou guitar, aside from featuring the maple/sitka unit, used to also show a picture of Emmylou playing what I thought was another version of the L-200; it appeared to have rosewood sides and back, and a beautiful red top (maybe cedar or possibly sitka with aged toner, I don't know). I was in LOVE with the look of that guitar and I'd like to find it again if possible.

The other things are the Modern Classics. Where are they? I can't find an SJ-300 or a CJ-165 under the Products page to save my life. Why is it so difficult?? Maybe it 's my browser? Maybe I'm blind? That's very possible. Somebody hep me!

Well, Crikey! I think they have stopped making the cj 165 and only offer the cutaway versions, the modern classics seem to have turned into "standards" or just the plain 'ol j45 and others, as for the picture of Emmylou, that's a shame, you can never have too many pictures of her (I think she was playing a really old jumbo with a lovely dark top in the pic you mention.

Could be a couple of things:

I've noticed that some things are listed as "coming soon," i.e. the webmaster does not yet have all the info that will be included in the site. Maybe there are some models that have yet to be listed.

More likely, IMO, is that that they have slimmed down their offerings. I don't know if this is due uniquely to the current economic climate, or if it's partly that and partly Gibson's penchant to constantly add/change models, series, etc. (After all, there are a couple of new guitars as well.)

That said, some models that have not been included in the new site and that have perhaps been discontinued can still be found at certain dealers. The J-100 has disappeared from the current-line up, for example, but is still available. A quick internet search will tell you where.

BTW, you can still find the old Gibson site (though not for long probably) with all the MC offerings here, and the Emmylou page you mentioned is here. Notice that the old site's address begins "www.gibson.com" and the new one "www.2gibson.com." I suspect that when the new site's finished, they'll delete the old one, remove the "2" from the address of the new one, and we'll be back to "www.gibson.com" for their (then) one and only site. But to quote Skip James: "I could be wrong."

Website problems are about to make me go completely mental I must say. My own website is with Lycos but I registered the domain name through Yahoo. $4.95 for the first year, then $10 a year, NOW they want $35 a year. Eff Yahoo! So I hook up with godaddy.com to transfer the domain name at the paltry cost of $14 for 2 years. What a debacle! I have dialup and godaddy.com took 47 minutes to load. I still haven't gotten it successfully switched over, I'm waiting for the Yahoo to release the domain name and it seems like I have to wait 5 days for it to automatically take place or SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW, THEY ARE DRIVING ME BATSH!T. Yahoo snips the cord and cuts you loose in space and giggles at you through the window while you gasp for breath. Godaddy is like, hey, cool, man, welcome aboard, we got yer back, pal don't worry about a thing, have you seen the new commercials with all the boobs? We're your best buddies and we show you boobs too! Except their website is overly complex and if you make the wrong move, you slip through a hole in the floor and it takes 3 hours to get back where you were before you fell through the hole.

I should have just given Yahoo the $35.

If you see me biting the heads off live chickens on the six o'clock news wearing a godaddy.com t-shirt, you'll know why. Learn from me.

Sorry to derail. Gibsons rule.

Archived