Gibson Brands Forums

"bear claw" on top

jvi

I was thinking about a nice simon and patric guitar I owned that had some killer bear claw, really loved to be pounded, and I was reminded that I havnt seen many or any standard gibsons with that amazing figure, if you have one lets see it if possible, also do you folks see it much or is it appealling to you ? cheers from the island J

I was thinking about a nice simon and patric guitar I owned that had some killer bear claw, really loved to be pounded, and I was reminded that I havnt seen many or any standard gibsons with that amazing figure, if you have one lets see it if possible, also do you folks see it much or is it appealling to you ? cheers from the island J

I've only seen bear claw figure on a few Gibson guitar tops. I've noticed it more commonly on other guitar makers' guitars -- Larrivee,Taylor, Martin. I don't know if Gibson purposely does not acquire much bearclaw-figured wood or what.

Here's a 1996 J-200 I used to own; it exhibited a mild chevron bearsclaw pattern:

IMGP0122_zpskfjkzav8.jpg

Fred

Here's a good example of bearclaw:

TOPBearclawWaterfallKoaRosetteKit2ZOOM.jpg

Besides the unique look some believe bearclaw is an indicator of a piece of tonewood that's particularly stiff, so you can sand it thinner for better sound and it won't collapse.

Anyone care to explain how Willie Nelson could get that crater in his guitar? I mean, that couldn't happen from just playing it could it?

Anyone care to explain how Willie Nelson could get that crater in his guitar? I mean, that couldn't happen from just playing it could it?

The crater came from using a pick without a pick guard for decades.

I think I like the hot ash theory better.

It's crazy: if you look at Trigger he's even got string grooves. How does the string get close enough to the top there to carve those runnels? I think BK777 has a guitar with grooves like that but his came from trying to teach The Hound how to play.

Trigger definitely must go to the Smithsonian when Willie dies. Put him alongside SRV's Number One if anyone will admit to owning it.

Archived