Gibson Brands Forums

Any j29 owners ?

blindboygrunt

Can anyone provide a side by side comparison of the guts of:

J45 Custom

and

J29?

I think the J29 has advanced bracing (like the AJ?) but the J45 custom has the standard X bracing. If I am wrong and they have the same bracing, than they should sound pretty damn close I'd think?

I have a J29 - love it! I just posted a NGD post about one, too:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/132365-any-other-gibson-j29-owners-out-there-ngd-with-pics/

I love mine - it's a great guitar. Shame that they left it out of the 2017 lineup, but I guess it was either not selling well, or they thought it was cutting into something else.

Can anyone provide a side by side comparison of the guts of:

J45 Custom

and

J29?

I think the J29 has advanced bracing (like the AJ?) but the J45 custom has the standard X bracing. If I am wrong and they have the same bracing, than they should sound pretty damn close I'd think?

J29 has "Gibson 1930's Advanced X-Braced Top". Same as the J35. (like the AJ) Both shifted forward I believe to accommodate the 24.75" scale.

I have a J29 - love it! I just posted a NGD post about one, too:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/132365-any-other-gibson-j29-owners-out-there-ngd-with-pics/

I love mine - it's a great guitar. Shame that they left it out of the 2017 lineup, but I guess it was either not selling well, or they thought it was cutting into something else.

Actually I think it filled a unique spot in the Gibson line-up: A rosewood bodied, 24.75" slope with advanced bracing. I don't think there's anything else in that space except for the occasional short, expensive run of "Short scale Advanced Jumbos." Every comment I've read about them was positive, but for some reason they didn't seem to catch on. Yours is pretty. Baby's got back, huh?

P

Archived