Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Epiphoneless

JerseyRay

Well, sold my Swingster to my son for a song and a dance. Awesome guitar, but it hurts my right shoulder when I play it... weird.... which left me with my 08- SG G400... last night I traded it in for a Gibson 2016 SG faded special T. it was on sale for like $ 599.00, so it was hard to pass on. I'm waiting to pick it up, having them put new strings, lower the action a tad... I can't wait to hear what it sound like plugged in to my amp. First impressions: the EPI had Grover tuners, good, stayed in tune. The Gibson has green keys, seems to be a little smoother. 2016 neck is a little thick, but I think it's the same as my 08 G-400. 2017 has a slim tapered neck which I like a little better, but this is fine. 490's on the Gibson, the G-400 had decent humbuckers, not overly bright but sounded good. So from what I see, even at the price I bought it for, it's twice the price of a faded EPI SG G-300. I'm not 100% sure it's actually worth twice as much. We'll see after I pick her up and play it a little.

Well, sold my Swingster to my son for a song and a dance. Awesome guitar, but it hurts my right shoulder when I play it... weird.... which left me with my 08- SG G400... last night I traded it in for a Gibson 2016 SG faded special T. it was on sale for like $ 599.00, so it was hard to pass on. I'm waiting to pick it up, having them put new strings, lower the action a tad... I can't wait to hear what it sound like plugged in to my amp. First impressions: the EPI had Grover tuners, good, stayed in tune. The Gibson has green keys, seems to be a little smoother. 2016 neck is a little thick, but I think it's the same as my 08 G-400. 2017 has a slim tapered neck which I like a little better, but this is fine. 490's on the Gibson, the G-400 had decent humbuckers, not overly bright but sounded good. So from what I see, even at the price I bought it for, it's twice the price of a faded EPI SG G-300. I'm not 100% sure it's actually worth twice as much. We'll see after I pick her up and play it a little.

Photos, or it didn't happen! [rolleyes][biggrin]

CB

HNGD, JerseyRay. Love SGs, pics please! [thumbup]

Solo... if someone can tell me how the hell to add pictures I will... so, back to my evaluation.

It's a SG Special - basic, meat and potato guitar.

Padded Gig bag - decent, I'm sure there are better available, but it's decent.

Faded (stained) finish - nothing special here. But I did hit it with Old English furniture polish with almond oil. I let it soak in for about 2 minutes. It came up sweet, nice shine and neck is smooth but not grippy.

Sound - so, this is weird. It sounds a bit clearer, "more pronounced" than the G-400 but still has plenty of grind. Not really brighter, it's hard to describe.

Guitar "feel"... again, hard to describe, but it "feels" higher quality. It feels right... I'd have to try blind folded and compare a g-300 to see if that's really true, or just a difference in finish compared to my g-400. In theory, the g-300 & g-400 are the same, but there is a differance.

Value - G-300 / 400 - I'm not going to bash epiphone, great value. You get a lot for your loot and quality is great.

Value - Gibson faded 2016 special T- value - at twice the cost of a G-300, it's still a good value and plenty of bang for the buck. It has upgraded wood (real Mahogany), better pots, pickups, tuners.

So, nothing bad with the G300 / 400, but the Gibson is worth checking out. GC is pushing out 2016 models at a decent price. This model usually sells for $ 739.00 discounted, at $ 599.00 it was hard to pass. I'm very happy so far...

Archived