Gibson Brands Forums

Relic'd Acoustic Guitars

BluesKing777

That car of yours is going to end up like triggers brush

Some won't get the fools and horses reference , but they'll be lost by you calling an engine a motor anyway

Trigger's Broom, wasn't it?

All the same, the car needs some love on weekend - the trouble with blowing/konking/any of the things that lead your car to be tray trucked home is that it becomes an enscapulated (sorry) example of thy pigginess...... I mean, the vacuum cleaner at home is the super duper Dyson dog hair and that struggles with Labrador hair, but the vacuum at the car wash is pathetic and will hardly budge a speck of dirt let alone dog hair and....looks awful and that is what the mechanic has been looking at for 3 weeks! So it is going to take all Saturday, I suppose and a hedge needs trimming so I can get to the garage and spider web too, and strings on guitars get older and older in front of my eyes! [mellow]

Played my 59 LG3 earlier and put my 44 Martin 0-17 in slide G tuning....wow. Needed some 'old' after all the relic talk....

BluesKing777.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ain't no BBQing going on around here this time of year! It's forecast to be fourteen below zero tomorrow night and it's snowing right now. I have set my J-50 out in sub-zero temperatures three times now, each time for about forty minutes. What's interesting about that is the top has begun to craze but not all that much. Years ago I had a friend leave a fly rod out in his car all night and the entire rod had a crackled, crazed finish come the next morning. The back and sides on my J-50 haven't crazed one bit though. I suspect the finish is thicker on the back and sides and that they don't vibrate as much as the top. Putting it through the regimen that E-minor7 recommended in that post I listed here added a few more cracks in the top's finish. I wouldn't have thought that was possible by giving it the Pete Townsend treatment. But this guitar has finally begun to loosen up. The thing was tighter than bark on a tree up until about a month or so ago. I still love the looks of your L0 of all of your guitars though BK.

Hehe, uplifting to hear ^ nothing brings you closer to a guitar than playing it daily while sensing the woods loosen up. A precious process indeed.

One might not notice the gearless development, but at some point it's clear that something has changed. A new level is reached, the work of the luthier turns into an instrument, , , and there's more yet to come. . .

I saw a link to this on the UMGF (in a small amount of time I could log in there!)

Called Pre-War Guitars - relics of D18, D28, J45 style guitars with quite a few videos:

https://www.pre-warguitars.com/

BluesKing777.

I find those guitars very convincing. They do look old. The pickguards look right too, which is often hard to do with reissues. I don't particularly care for the company name and logo, though.

I would not mind owning a modern Gibson or Martin vintage replica, if reliced like that. However, a reliced "clone" of a classic Gibson or Martin design, but with another company name on the headstock would feel plain wrong to me.

I have seen a few reliced Fender Nocasters that looked and felt just right. So why not a Martin or a Gibson, but the heritage and history have to be there.

Lars

I find those guitars very convincing. They do look old. The pickguards look right too, which is often hard to do with reissues. I don't particularly care for the company name and logo, though.

I would not mind owning a modern Gibson or Martin vintage replica, if reliced like that. However, a reliced "clone" of a classic Gibson or Martin design, but with another company name on the headstock would feel plain wrong to me.

I have seen a few reliced Fender Nocasters that looked and felt just right. So why not a Martin or a Gibson, but the heritage and history have to be there.

Lars

Martin announced an Authentic Relic to be.....Gibson had a mandolin..so far.

BluesKing777.

Archived