Gibson Brands Forums

"Uniontown" (yet again...)

dhanners623

Happy new year, everybody!

Some songs just drop out of the sky and all you need to do is clean 'em up a little and they are done. Other songs fight you kicking and screaming until you wrestle them into submission. I am discovering "Uniontown" -- which I've exhibited here before -- is the latter.

I played a rewritten version at an open mic a couple of weeks ago (open mics are rare here in Kuwait) and while it seemed to go over well, it just didn't feel right to me. It didn't say everything I wanted it to say. It just didn't have the right energy. (Were I back home in the Twin Cities, where I could hit an open mic any night of the week and road-test the various versions of the song, this process would've probably been much shorter.)

So I went back to the drawing board and came up with this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xjkhkXqBJPg

For the video, I switched to my Epiphone IB'64 Texan. It is capoed at the second fret, using a partial capo that covers all but the low E string. I've also been playing the song on my Hot Rod Steel "Old Skool 12" resophonic guitar and it sounds pretty good.

As always, constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks for watching.

I liked your previous versions of the song, but I think I prefer this one as far as melody, rythm, and pacing Very nice! However, and I hope you don't mind me saying it, I think some of the lyrics and imagery are a little too close for comfort to Springsteen's "Youngstown".

Lars

I liked your previous versions of the song, but I think I prefer this one as far as melody, rythm, and pacing Very nice! However, and I hope you don't mind me saying it, I think some of the lyrics and imagery are a little too close for comfort to Springsteen's "Youngstown".

Lars

That's a constant concern for songwriters. I knew Springsteen had a song called "Youngstown," but had no recollection of the lyrics or the melody, so I purposefully did NOT listen to it while writing this song. After I finished the tune, I went and listened to it. All I can say is mine is original, and I couldn't have copied Springsteen because I didn't know his song. That said, he is a fairly linear/straightforward storyteller, and I try to be, too. There are a limited number of ways to tell this story, and I picked the way that made the most sense to me.

That's a constant concern for songwriters. I knew Springsteen had a song called "Youngstown," but had no recollection of the lyrics or the melody, so I purposefully did NOT listen to it while writing this song. After I finished the tune, I went and listened to it. All I can say is mine is original, and I couldn't have copied Springsteen because I didn't know his song. That said, he is a fairly linear/straightforward storyteller, and I try to be, too. There are a limited number of ways to tell this story, and I picked the way that made the most sense to me.

Yes, I guess two songs about two cities with the same fate are bound two have similarities. You wrote a great song! Are you happy with this version, or do you plan to craft it further?

Lars

Yes, I guess two songs about two cities with the same fate are bound two have similarities. You wrote a great song! Are you happy with this version, or do you plan to craft it further?

Lars

I think this one is done, although I'm trying to figure if the chorus should be a chorus or just a one-time-only bridge. But I've messed around with the song long enough and it finally says what I want it to say, in a way I want to say it.

I like this...I don't hear Springsteen so much as Steve Earle, at his best. I vote for chorus over bridge: "King coal built this town-you might as well us it to burn it down" is a really well-crafted line, conveying the essence of the song, and bears the repeating, I think.

Nice! 👍

I like this...I don't hear Springsteen so much as Steve Earle, at his best. I vote for chorus over bridge: "King coal built this town-you might as well us it to burn it down" is a really well-crafted line, conveying the essence of the song, and bears the repeating, I think.

Nice! 👍

Thanks for the kind words. Earle has long been an influence. And you've convinced me; the song should have a chorus.

Archived