Gibson Brands Forums

And now to something completely different...

Lars68

I recently got a little gadget enabling me to play my electric and tube amp at bedroom level. It sounds fantastic! I recorded two songs tonight with it, by placing the mic on the table in front of me and the amp on the floor next to me. So it is me singing unamplified, while playing electric guitar, all into one mic. The recording also picks up the acoustic sound of the pick and the strings, so the volume out of the amp is very low. I have always loved both the acoustic side of Neil Young, as well as the overdriven electric side. I guess this is my take on how a mix of those two would sound. The simple recording setup, trying to do everything at once, is not ideal, but you might get an idea of how it sounds in real life.

Here is the first song, an electric version of a song I wrote a while back.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/red-dirt-of-dixie-electric-1

The second is a cover of my favorite rock song. I'm actually trying to sound a little harder and louder towards the end. Not my cup of tea...but fun...

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/sla-pp-aldrig-in-dom-ha-r

I know my singing won't win any awards, but if you have heard me before and like to comment how this compares, I will appreciate it.

I realize this is an acoustic forum, so I promise not to make this electric stuff a habit [biggrin]

Lars

Hey Lars,

Just listened to the first one for now...and I like the different vibe the electric adds to this song!

Thanks Avery! This is an acoustic forum after all, so trying a sound like that might be a little much around here [biggrin]

Singing solo with the electric was just a test, a way to try something new and different.

I appreciate the listen, as always.

Lars

This is an acoustic forum after all, so trying a sound like that might be a little much around here

Bingo.

I was never an effects guy, and don't care for ANY distortion these days.

Funny, as I was a rocker for decades....

Neat toy though.

Bingo.

I was never an effects guy, and don't care for ANY distortion these days.

Funny, as I was a rocker for decades....

Neat toy though.

I'm not a fan of effects either. However, I love just an electric guitar and a tube amp pushed to a little bit of distorsion.

Unfortunately, I found it difficult to record the amplifier into the same mic as the vocals. The sounds comes across as very brittle and harsh in the recording, compared to the actual sound in the room. I will experiment by placing the amp next to me on a chair, instead of on the floor.

Lars

Archived