Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: SJ200

sbpark

Just thought I'd add an update here...I had the guitar set up to my specs and replaced the Elixir strings. Tried both Martin MSP4100's and some D'Addario EJ16's. Sounded better but the guitar still sounded a bit "boring" and a little unbalanced. Big low end, but seemed a bit hollow in the middle with thin/crispy highs. Dont get me wrong, ti didnt sound horrible, but just seemed to be missing something, otherwise, seriously this guitar doesn't have a mark on it, it's basically mint. I ordered a bone saddle from Bob Colosi and had some of his bone bridge pins in my guitar box from a couple years ago. Figured I'd give it a shot. I took out the LR Baggs Element (just slipped out the ribbon and let it hang free inside the guitar because at this point I wasn't 100% committed to pulling out the entire pickup), filed and sanded the saddle, installed the bone bridge pins and strung her up.

Now, I'm not someone who thinks that replacing Tiusq with bone is an automatic improvement. In fact, I had a bone saddle made for a J45 I used to own, and almost immediately went back to Tusq because the guitar got shrill and thin. Well, with this SJ200 it was a noticeable improvement. the guitar is more even sounding across the strings, the nigh end is much warmer and the highs are thicker, while the low end is still huge but not as fuzzy (if any of that even makes sense).

I'm going to play the guitar for a few days, but I'm really thinking I'm going to pull down the listing I had on Reverb. Crazy how pulling out the UST and dropping in a bone saddle (and bone bridge pins, but I'm guessing their contribution in changing the sound is minimal if they did anything at all) makes a difference.

Just thought I'd add an update here...I had the guitar set up to my specs and replaced the Elixir strings. Tried both Martin MSP4100's and some D'Addario EJ16's. Sounded better but the guitar still sounded a bit "boring" and a little unbalanced. Big low end, but seemed a bit hollow in the middle with thin/crispy highs. Dont get me wrong, ti didnt sound horrible, but just seemed to be missing something, otherwise, seriously this guitar doesn't have a mark on it, it's basically mint. I ordered a bone saddle from Bob Colosi and had some of his bone bridge pins in my guitar box from a couple years ago. Figured I'd give it a shot. I took out the LR Baggs Element (just slipped out the ribbon and let it hang free inside the guitar because at this point I wasn't 100% committed to pulling out the entire pickup), filed and sanded the saddle, installed the bone bridge pins and strung her up.

Now, I'm not someone who thinks that replacing Tiusq with bone is an automatic improvement. In fact, I had a bone saddle made for a J45 I used to own, and almost immediately went back to Tusq because the guitar got shrill and thin. Well, with this SJ200 it was a noticeable improvement. the guitar is more even sounding across the strings, the nigh end is much warmer and the highs are thicker, while the low end is still huge but not as fuzzy (if any of that even makes sense).

I'm going to play the guitar for a few days, but I'm really thinking I'm going to pull down the listing I had on Reverb. Crazy how pulling out the UST and dropping in a bone saddle (and bone bridge pins, but I'm guessing their contribution in changing the sound is minimal if they did anything at all) makes a difference.

I pulled the pickups and installed unbleached bone saddles and bone pins on my new Southern Jumbo and J-45 Custom and noticed a very significant difference in tone and volume.

Archived