Gibson Brands Forums

ES-165 Herb Ellis

merciful-evans

This is the model that looks like a ES-175 but has a single pickup at the neck.

There's of these for private sale in the uk at the moment for less than £1,600. Its a 1992 model (apparently). Looks nice and the price seems pretty good.

I just checked out an enquiry about one of these (Australian e-bay sale) in the Custom Area. The OP seemed interested for more general use such as overdriven blues. I had to smile at the sentence "Would love some feedback on this one". Well I'm sure he would. :)

For a higher end model, I'm surprised that it had a silkscreened headstock logo.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/all-original-1992-gibson-es-165-herb-ellis-guitar.-archtop-jazz-electro-acoustic-guitar.-es-175./1227813066

If I were to check this out, I would worry about authenticity. I am not a Gibson expert. Opinions?

Looks OK....[thumbup]

I had that same model around '93-'94.....

As far as I am aware it never sold well for some reason

Personal issues were the wiring upgrade needed from new....and the vibration buzzes from top mounted P/U

The later ones had a floating neck mounted P/U for that reason....

It may be possible to do a serial no. check to verify provenance....

I have enjoyed these Florentine jazzers ever since....[thumbup]

Much prefer my current ES225 and ES137.....

Good Luck....!!

V

:-({|=

PS Personal opinion is it is not sufficiently a classic to warrant that price.....:blink:

Looks authentic to me too. The price seems good for these models as I've seen them listed higher in the past few years. I almost bought a used one from Guitar Village a few years back and that was listed at £1799 at the time.

I'd go for that one you've found if I was in the market at the moment and if I had the spare cash. I've only ever tried the floating pickup version - it was a wine red one brand new and cost £2199 about 5 or 6 years ago. Lovely guitar, but I ended up getting a 175 instead.

Archived