Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Custom Vs. Parker Fly, Gibson Won !

GuitarFly

I was looking for a new guitar, had about $2,500 to spend, more or less. I wanted something new, but like the guitars that i have. It came down to 2 guitars a new Les Paul Custom in black and a Parker Fly that the dealer had. 2 choices, something new and different, or something I knew i loved.

I played them both over a few visits to the store, different amps and effects. Both sounded great in their own way, but what made the decision easier was that i found out that Ken Parker sold the compnay 5 years ago to Washburn and they are making them now.

Gibson has always been there and i need to know if i ever have a problem someone will be there with help, parts and service.

The Les Paul plays and sounds great, i do admit i liked the acoustic tone the Parker had, so the dealer had me try the Epiphone Ultra 2 les Paul , that sounded as good as the Parker's acoustic and and 1/5th the price ?

I plan on buying the Ultra as a backup guitar and to use it for acoustic numbers. Thanks Gibson !

I'd go for the gibson, but keep in mind that gibson also was sold last year and doesnt belong to the original owner anymore... theres word that they dont even let him near the offices, and seeing as they moved the plant to china, well its kinda difficult for an old man to travel that far...

Gibson hasnt belonged to the original owners since the 70's I believe.

I may be wrong' date=' but didnt Norlin purchase them in the early 70's?[/quote']

Norlin bought Gibson in '68 or '69 and lasted til around the mid-eighties.

Raptor would have a more concise answer on the history.

I'd personally go for the LP Custom...but that's just me.

eusa_whistle.gif

Gibson was bought out by Chicago Music Instruments (CMI) way back in the early 1900's I think. CMI began an association with a South American company around the mid 1960's, this eventually became Norlin in the late 60's or early 70's I believe. The Henry J bought it from Norlin around 1984 for about $3 million. But I don't have any reference books handy to confirm the exact dates. But I am pretty sure the Gibson family was out of it by the 1930's. '50 Years of the Gibson Les Paul' and 'Gibson Guitars: Ted McCarty's Golden Era; 1948-1966' are good references on the company history. Don't buy the second book expecting to read a lot about guitars though, it is about Ted McCarty, although there are some cool pics of old catalogs and other interesting information. It just isn't a good "Ooooh look at the beautiful LP" book. If you are interested in the 50's LPs, then 'Beauty of the Burst' and 'Sunburst Alley: A Pictorial Gallery of the Les Paul Sunburst, 1958-1960' are pretty good, although they are almost exclusively about the 58-60 bursts.

Well actually Gibson did merge with a Danish company a few weeks ago. Some people are saying Gibson was sold to them. Hard to say for sure. The Danish company is involved in high end audio equipment, so it might be that Henry is looking to expand into that area. Only time will tell. I wouldn't panic about it as yet.

Archived